Can running in a barrel cause an overheat?

I read somewhere that this is a thing. Because the pisser is pumping out heated water, can it make the water in the barrel become too hot and cause a mild overheat, enough to trip the temp sensor? What about running on the water when the water temp is nice and warm in summer?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Possible but not at all likely, like rolling many many sixes in a row. If your motors overheating in a barrel or on the water id be looking for something else as the issue rather than that

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A 9.9 can idle in a barrel of water for at least 1/2 hr before water temp becomes an issue.-------On a second note.----A set of 4 circulating pumps ( 8000 HP each ) running in a closed system will boil the water after a while.----Simply from the FRICTION of the water.

tpenfield

Staff member
I've run small outboards in a barrel for up to a hour or so. The water does get warm, (90-95˚ F . . . ), but still manages to cool the engine enough.

Why do you ask :noidea:

What temperature is the Gulf of Mexico right now? 86˚ F or so . . .

Why do you ask

Just wondering because it came to mind that I had read about it and if that was indeed true and what caused MY problem (it ran great before the overheat), I'd have to take myself out back and kick my own *** for creating the mess I'm dealing with now...lol

sludgeguy68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
FWIW I’ve had trouble running my 1965 6hp long shaft in a barrel. Water level was considerably far above the pump but nothing came out of telltale. Cleaned the passages, checked thermostat, even opened up and cleaned the exhaust jacket... nothing. Put it in the lake and it pumps just fine. I was using a pretty narrow and tall garbage can due to the long shaft, I’m thinking the exhaust was interfering with the water intake.

ezbtr

Commander
would think it would have to run a LONG time in that barrel before any harm

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Guys, I run motors in barrels all day, every day April through November. Now, a v4 Yamaha will overheat on muffs after 10 minutes, but put it in a barrel and its fine. Talking idle and high idle only. Not in gear. Plastic 55 gal drum cut a little over half tall. During winterizing season I pull 4 or 5 boats up on the pad. Start them all in a barrel and run them to temp to change oil. The last ones in line will have been idling for 30 to 45 minutes. The hose is always constantly overfilling the buckets. This is standard operating procedure at every place I have ever known.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^like Jake says. Sink the hose in the barrel a little, and run at half pressure or a little less. Cold water sinks to the bottom where the intake is (at least that's my theory).