Ocean runner 175 rpms rising at startup

I’ve got a couple 1995 ocean runner 175 a week ago the outboard ran perfect. Today I tried getting it going and the idle was rough and rpms started surging spent the day tinkering sometimes it would run sometimes not at all had it running and shifting in and out of gear but was only idling 500 rpms and kept messing around now I have it starting again it’ll idle for a few seconds and then the rpms just rise very quickly. Any ideas where to start? At this point I’m thinking a lean condition maybe from an air leak of some sort? I’ve double checked al fuel lines and pulled the fuel bowl out at the pump and it’s all clean. Carbs appear to be clean. The problem is I can’t keep it idling low long enough to actually diagnose anything as I have to shut it down once the rpms start rising

Last edited:

w2much

Lieutenant
Check your START feature and your shift interupt switch. If you messed with the idle settings and one of these are bad you need to go back and maybe undo the tinkering . I am not near my manuals. I hope you have yours at hand.

I do have a manual but it’s a whole lot of information at once haha. I’m not new to tuning by any means but tuning 6 carbs to work simultaneously is a different world. From what I was told this motor doesn’t have a shift interrupter? By start feature that is the high idle for cold starts the engine has correct? The original settings had all the idle screws 6-7 turns out one may have even been 8. Wish I wrote down what they were. Doesn’t that seem excessively rich considering the manual states 3 turns out to start with?

Check your START feature and your shift interupt switch. If you messed with the idle settings and one of these are bad you need to go back and maybe undo the tinkering . I am not near my manuals. I hope you have yours at hand.

from what I can see my motor is not equipped with a shift interrupter

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Parts book seem to show the shift interrupter switch on the motor linkages.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Initial carb setting is 4-5 turns out from light seat...these have to be adjusted in the water, in gear and boat untethered.

Parts book seem to show the shift interrupter switch on the motor linkages.

I don’t see anything on my linkages except for what I would think is the neutral safety switch but I will look again. Thank you. If it is there I’ll be checking that and the START feature. The engine side of the harness just gets grounded out correct?

w2much

Lieutenant
I may be mistaken but I think you will need the manual for a START test..Sometimes you need to walk away, cool out , and read the manual.. For the idle to rise that much it is getting more fuel or the trigger is moving somehow. If it was idleing at 500 and now surges way high I would see whats moving under the cowl. check your butterfly valves when it surges. Check the rod that goes from one set of three carbs to the othe set of three. Broken spring on butterfly. Put it in the water, put it in gear see how high it surges. something is fueling it.