85 HP Evinrude

Walleyevzn

Recruit
I have an 1976 year 85 HP Evinrude 2 stroke outboard...I have been using it at around 5200' elevation and it was running great. I have recently moved it to a lower elevation (3000'). It seems to run good early in the morning but really wants to bog down and not run great later in the day when it gets warmer. It idles great but when I takeoff and try to get it up and get it on plane it almost like it isn't getting enough gas and lacking that next gear to get it going....Could it be a carburetor needing a different jet? spark plug?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well 3000' is sort of the area where the air pressure becomes an issue.----I am looking at SMALLER jets for a 1998 115 HP motor like yours to be used a 4000' instead of 600" above sea level.------But first I would do a compression test to determine the overall health of your 44 year old motor.----Post your numbers at 3000' here.

Walleyevzn

Recruit
Well 3000' is sort of the area where the air pressure becomes an issue.----I am looking at SMALLER jets for a 1998 115 HP motor like yours to be used a 4000' instead of 600" above sea level.------But first I would do a compression test to determine the overall health of your 44 year old motor.----Post your numbers at 3000' here.

If it has low compression in any of the cylinders wouldn't that mean the motor would not run good at any point?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Bring your motor over I believe I could sort this out for you.-------Testing and trouble shooting is very easy !

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those on here can not see / hear / feel your motor !----If you are ready to post your guesses instead of information asked for , you can not expect help.-----Sorry to be so blunt here.

Walleyevzn

Recruit
Those on here can not see / hear / feel your motor !----If you are ready to post your guesses instead of information asked for , you can not expect help.-----Sorry to be so blunt here.

what is the best way to ground the spark plugs since there are 3 that aren't being used after I pull all of them

Walleyevzn

Recruit

cylinder compression results - 105,105,102,105
It looks like the lower carburetor might not be functioning properly as there is fuel on top of it and fuel residue underneath and seeping