Evinrude E40ELCDE - linkage, idle, carb adjustment guide request

abroome

Recruit
Hello, i have acquired a 1986 Evinrude 40 VRO ( E40ELCDE) and am trying to get it running well. My challenge is that I cannot find a guide or procedure for adjusting the throttle linkage cable and the connecting idle and carb adjustments. Currently, the idle lever on the front controls does not go down far enough to allow the control to slip into forward gear (safety mechanism prevents being in gear when the idle lever is up). But if I adjust the cable length so that the arm can go down then the idle is way too low and wont stay running to put into gear.

I don't mind paying a reasonable fee for the correct guide or book, if that exists. Of if someone knows of a youtube video or written instructions for this motor. The ones I have found do not have the same mechanisms on the side of the motor.

thanks

-andrew

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Find the idle stop screw on the motor and adjust it to raise idle RPM.------But often motors are sold when there are issues with them.------So have you done any trouble shooting on this motor ?----Did you buy it privately and " as is " ?----From a dealer with warranty ?

abroome

Recruit
No, it is an old 1986 motor without any warranty. It is running, but the adjustments are all wrong. In its current state it idles fine but the idle lever on the front contorl must be about 1/2 way up. In this position, the idle screw that you talk about is away from its 0-position. If I push the idle control lever down (to I can move the gear selector arm) then the idle screw is moved back toward its stop but the idle is too slow and the engine just stops. If I am fast then I can drop the idle lever and throw it into gear before the revs come down, but this is not ideal.

There seems to be an adjustment on the idle control cable itself, then the adjustment on the idle screw, another from the idle screw to the carburators. I am looking for a process to align all of these properly.

thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In some areas a 1986 model is not considered old.-----But if the linkages confuse you run to a shop and ask them to bump up the idle speed.-----And what other trouble shooting has been done.-----Post your compression test numbers here.------Most important to provide information !!----Nobody can stand beside your motor to see / feel / hear your motor !

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
yep, the idle screw, on the engine, turned in clockwise, could do it, keep track of number of turns, can always turn it back, when i got my 48spl (6 years ago)that adjustment worked for me