70hp bogging down

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1984 70hp it starts and idles great yesterday going out from the ramp it ran fine through the no wake zone
when I hammered the throttle it just bogged down
on the way back to the ramp it struggled just to troll
I had this happen last time out so I cleaned the carbs the primer bulb was hard and I tried pumping it with no change
and fuel lines are new spark and compression is good
the local mechanic said the carbs non adjustable on those motors and that I need a set of adjustable carbs

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Everybody seems to jump on the carburetors first in search of the magical fix.----What other trouble shooting are you prepared to do ??----Or how has this motor been able to exist for 36 years with non adjustable carburetors ???-----When you had the carburetors apart for cleaning did you remove the high speed jets ( orifice plugs ) found INSIDE the carburetor bowl ?-----They are about 5/8" long with a calibrated hole.

Last edited:

Lakemichfish

Cadet
I’m having the same problem with my 1990 Johnson 70 hp. The water pressure jumps between 0-20. I’m making the change to the coolant system pr SB #2276 but I don’t think it’s the cause in this case. Sometimes the overheat alarm sounds when this happens, sometimes not.

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
I've rebuilt the carbs ever year for the last 8 years as a precaution so I know they are super clean and done properly
it has good spark and compression was good
it fires all all 3cyl

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What are the actual compression numbers ??-----Perhaps throttle plates are opening too early.----Carburetors do not need to be cleaned / rebuilt every year.----Just run the fuel out of them and they stay clean..----Other trouble shooting needs to be done !!

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
compression test was 105 107 and 110
spark test was good too 7/16 jump

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On my tester that motor will show 140 PSI on a good one.------So pull the cylinder head off.------A new head gasket is cheap if there is nothing wrong there !!!----Cheaper than buying coils / stators / timers bases and powerpacks in desperation !

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
went down to the water this morning to try to run it again
if I push the key in to activate the primer the motor accelerates

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
im going to buy a better compression gauge and try the compression test again

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When you push the key in the fuel primer valve opens.-----It then sprays fuel into the engine.-----This fuel bypasses the carburetor metering circuits.-------This tells me that perhaps something was missed / overlooked during carburetor work.------Be an easy fix here I think !

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
I'm going to take them apart again just to double check
I'm sure nothing was missed

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??----But your motor is not running correctly !!----Or bring your motor over .---I think it is easy fix !

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is becoming clear to me over many years.----Folks are not good at trouble shooting simple outboard motors ---Sorry to be so blunt.