2nd cylinder has spark but no change when plug wire is pulled

jhotch

Seaman Apprentice
Motor idles well and runs fine until 2000 rpm and then starts surging after 15-20 seconds. Redid entire fuel system. Set linkage as per manual. Jumps right up onto plane and then starts surging. Today I started investigating ignition. Idle timing is at 4 atdc . All plugs had good spark. Dropped each cylinder in idle and the second cylinder had no change, in fact if anything it ran a little better. Changed the plugs between middle and bottom cylinder and the middle cylinder still did not change idle when pulled. Any ideas?

jhotch

Seaman Apprentice
Model is J70tlesb I checked the compression when we started working on it last month 120, 118 , 121

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Squirt some fuel in that cylinder that is dead and see what happens.

jhotch

Seaman Apprentice
Boobie, Where would I squirt the fuel in? into the carb or directly into the cylinder through the spark plug hole?

jhotch

Seaman Apprentice
Find out anything ???

Thanks for checking in. Planning on working on it tomorrow and will post results. Here’s my plan of attack
pump primer bulb to see if it stays hard for 1 minute

gap all spark plugs

compression test

clean carb of # 2 cylinder

squirt fuel into second carb

switch coils

switch wires

test powerpack

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Once the primer bulb has been used to fill the carburetors it does NOT need to stay hard.

jhotch

Seaman Apprentice
Ok. compression was good and equal, spark was good on all cylinders. Switched the coils betwwe the 2nd and third cylinders and the second cylinder still caused no change when I pulled the plug at idle. Squirted fuel in the second cylindee and the idle immediately smoothed out. Pulled the second carb, cleaned it, checked the float setting. put it all back together and voila. idled great on muffs in the driveway. I took it to the lake, started and opened it up, ran great for about 2 minutes and then started surging again at about 3500 rpms. I think I’ll pill the othwr 2 carbs and give them a once over and then redo the linkage. Thoughts?
oh also Timing at idle on muffs in the driveway was 4 btdc

jhotch

Seaman Apprentice
Now I’m thinking I am going to test the coils resistance and focus on getting the timing back to spec at 4 ATDC .

jhotch

Seaman Apprentice
‘90 Johnson 70 2 stroke Bad timing caused by fuel problem?

90 Johnson 70 Would one carb not working when I adjusted the linkage be the cause of having my Idle screw all the way in and subsequently the timing advanced from the spec 4atdc to 4 btdc?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Please don't start another thread about the same problem or you get asked all the same questions again.

In answer to your question - No.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fact-----You adjust / set maximum timing advance only.-------Idle timing is where the throttle plates start to open !!!----Where timing is when engines idles properly does not matter and looks after itself.