1990 Evinrude 70hp E70TLESB wiring problem, please help

dmosherb

Recruit
So I've been working on this motor, I rebuilt the carbs, cleaned everything up, cleaned up all the wiring. I took pictures of everything I took off so I know where each wire goes back. Installed a new starter solenoid, bench tested the starter(its fine). It used to crank before, now when I turn the key, it doesn't do anything and the main positive and negative both begin to smoke and they melted the terminals at the battery.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Are the battery cables on correctly? Pos to the solenoid and negative to ground.

dmosherb

Recruit
So I realized today my dumba$$ hooked the main pos to the negative terminal and visa versa. What do you think I messed up? I tested the starter and the solenoid, they both still work. Do you think I fried the rectifier? I turn the key and just hear the click of the solenoid but nothing happens

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
So I realized today my dumb***** hooked the main pos to the negative terminal and visa versa. What do you think I messed up? I tested the starter and the solenoid, they both still work. Do you think I fried the rectifier? I turn the key and just hear the click of the solenoid but nothing happens

If you connected the battery with the polarity reversed then you will almost have certainly fried the rectifier, but that does not explain why nothing happens apart from the solenoid clicking just why it wont charge the battery when you do get it going.