1962 75 HP help needed no spark

ClassicNoob

Cadet
It seems I have scoured the entirety of the internet and haven't been able to come up with any answers. I'm hoping you guys may be able to offer some assistance.
Im trying to start a 1962 Johnson V4A-14. This is a new to me boat. I'm told it was in the water last year and ran perfectly.
It will crank but usually wont fire. Eventually it will fire, but it only runs on the two cylinders on the port side. I can't get spark on the starboard cylinders. Points appear to be brand new but I have cleaned them anyway. Where can I go from here? Cap and rotor are also in like-new condition. Any help is appreciated!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think it can only be an issue with points.------Does spark on the port side jump a gap of 5/16" , yes or no ?----I think I have all the parts on hand here for a fix on that motor.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Normally those motors have two sets of points and a single coil and condenser. If 1/2 the motor fires, I would inspect/gap the second set of points.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
V4A has battery ignition, V4S has magneto ignition, so you have battery ignition. One set of points fires starboard bank, other set of points fires port bank. So I would pretty much have to agree, there is something wrong with one set of points. You did set the gap correctly, right?

ClassicNoob

Cadet
The port side does have good spark. I'll set the gap and get back to you. Is there a write-up anywhere on here with a procedure?

ClassicNoob

Cadet
Sooo... I must not be setting points correctly. I don't have spark on either bank now 🤬. I'm obviously new to this age machine, but by golly, I'm going to figure it out (with your help of course lol!)

ClassicNoob

Cadet
Success! As it turns out faulty aftermarket stereo wiring seemed to have caused a lack of power to the coil. We now have spark on all four cylinders! She runs strong and proud but dies as soon as I let off of the choke... Is it time for a carb rebuild?