Evinrude 115hp

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i will start go through all the ohm readings again

starting with stator i did check it prior to installing it , but no harm restarting

ok what would this red wire be that was disconnected?

You need to do all three tests on the stator and report your readings/measurements, not just ohms reading. You could have a short circuit somewhere or a problem with the voltage output of the stator regarding the ignition side of things.

If you skip steps and the details of those steps, you are likely going to be back at square one. We cannot see your steps, only what details you give us is what we see.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The red wire from the rectifier connects to another red wire at the bus bar. That wire goes to the battery side of the starter solenoid.

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You need to do all three tests on the stator and report your readings/measurements, not just ohms reading. You could have a short circuit somewhere or a problem with the voltage output of the stator regarding the ignition side of things.

If you skip steps and the details of those steps, you are likely going to be back at square one. We cannot see your steps, only what details you give us is what we see.

yes i will do the tests in a day or so , but i need to purchase the meter adapter.

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok other thing i want to ask, it seems like bigger motors have bigger magnets v6s outboards , is the magnets built into this flywheel? mine? chances of a bad magnet possible? , still waiting on the DVA adapter so i can do volt tests, but it turns out the stator passes on ohms and ground test, same with timer base. also redid a compression test all cylinders are just above 90psi even, which is passible for a 82 engine.flywheel magnets v4 1982.JPG

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Find the cylinder with lowest compression.--------Remove bypass cover , a new gasket ( $2,00 ) required.-----Or remove cylinder head.----Head gasket is also cheap compared to guessing on electronic parts.-----And no those magnets do not go bad with time !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Inspect piston and rings when bypass cover is off.-------Why would you say that low compression is " passable for an old engine " ?----If those compression numbers are accurate then this motor needs major attention !!

Last edited:

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
try a new head gasket and carbon cleaner, but i ain't gonna strip the motor down throw tons money on this engine, if i can get a few more years out it with basic recovery maintenance great. then eventually move to a slightly better used motor down the line.

top priority right now is getting fire to the other 2 cylinders. more seafoam through it.

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
looking online i dont think u can buy the cylinder low compression kits anymore for this 82 motor, not unless there's ones on ebay maybe.