68 Johnson 9.5hp Will Only Start With Choke Open

This one is confusing to me. It starts and runs fine. However, if I try the usual method of cold-starting any other small engine (pull choke and let it warm up before opening), it does not work.

If I do it this way, it starts out the normal way. Closed choke, crank it and it tries to start. Then open choke and it won't crank at all. I end up having to spray starter fluid or wait a few minutes. It acts like it's flooded after I crank it with choke engaged.

But here's what really gets me. I get on the water, motor is dead cold. No choke, 1 pull (sometimes 2), and she starts great!

I don't understand it. It doesn't start when doing it the "right" way but does start when doing it the "wrong" way. Someone please explain this to me...

I haven't torn it off but I have used carb cleaner in the available cleanout holes. It runs great so I didn't see a need to pull the carb

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Runs great but doesn't start so well(?) uTube videos Crosbyman supplies are pretty good....

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Simple solution.......If it runs great once it starts, and it starts good with the choke open, DO NOT CLOSE THE CHOKE, and you should be all set to go. If it were my motor with those conditions, I would remove the choke knob so I never, ever erroneously close the choke.