1995 Johnson 6 HP model J6REOD carb adjustments

WestPoint

Seaman
First time doing this, so I’m hoping to get clarification on two of the steps. I've attached image of the OMC manual page regarding carb adjustments. Hope you can read it.

Step 1 (figure 6) Turn the cranking screw in until the spring is fully but lightly compressed.
Fully but lightly - does this mean the spring is almost totally compressed but not so much that it is binding against itself? If so, at this point the roller is against the cam, and the throttle valve is slightly open. I've attached photos of cranking screw, and throttle shaft pin and throttle shaft valve.

Step 7 (figure 7): Turn the throttle cam follower screw clockwise until the tip of the amplifier begins to move.
I assume before doing this that the cam follower screw is still backed out far enough that it has no effect on pushing the roller closer to the cam. The throttle cranking screw is set to achieve 700 RPM in forward gear, and the roller is against the cam so the throttle valve is open enough to keep that 700 RPM.
Does this now bring the cam follower screw setting to just past the roller position that the cranking screw setting had it (700 RPM in forward gear), and then backed out 1/8 to return control to the cranking screw setting, ever so slightly?

Much thanks if you can give me advice this, Jim

Attachments

• photo332083.jpg
    photo332083.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo332085.jpg
    photo332085.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo332086.jpg
    photo332086.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo332087.jpg
    photo332087.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 2

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
1. you are overthinking this a tad. The cracking screw just gets gently seated. not a big deal if it's not perfect as you are going to use it later to adjust rpm at idle in gear.
2. cam roller: you do not do this step with the cam roller loosened/disengaged! it's a final adjustment step, not one that is adjusted later.
Fire it up and see how it runs. With these little ones, you can adjust them pretty easily.