68 Johnson 9.5hp, What is water bypass plate for?

I'm wondering what the water bypass plate is for. I only know that's its name because I found it on a parts diagram. Now "water bypass" suggests that this is where I can place a motor flusher for running on land but I tried that and had to quickly shut it down because there was no water coming from the pisser. So if thats the case then what is it for??

When I tried the flusher, I didn't have the plate off, should I have removed it for it to work? The plate has holes in it so I didn't think it was necessary. But after opening it up, I can see there is a hole on the right that leads to the water intake. And there appears to be a hole at the top left that I assume leads to the water pump. I would add pics but the files are too big...

So if this is not intended for motor flusher use then what is it for? And if it is for motor flusher use, then how do I make it work?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The main water intake is that screen behind the prop !----------Perhaps that plate is for water supply when motor is in reverse.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It serves two purposes:

1. As racer suggested, the small holes admit water when motor is running in reverse. racer knows this, I think he's just being polite.

2. The passageway behind the plate is a simple way of connecting the water intake screen to the water pump intake. The intake being behind the prop, the prop force-feeds a positive supply of water to the pump in forward gear.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Problem with that is the huge opening leading to the intake screen, versus the tiny holes you are attempting to squirt water into. Water just runs out the screen. Some people have fabricated a hose attachment plate to replace the factory bypass plate for flushing. You're on your own there.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A Barrel is actually preferred and if properly filled high enough simulates what conditions the motor is in when on a boat, in the water. Then we don't see as many posts such as. 'It ran fine on the Muffs, but won't start/run/idle when at the lake'

Check out Leeroy’s Ramblings. A lot of good info on those old motors, great site

I've seen this site pop up in search results several times but never gave it a passing glance since the name doesn't suggest boat info lol. I just read everything on there related to my 9.5 and wow, you ain't kidding, lots of info!