Pump impeller installation

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
We often see suggestions that when a pump impeller is installed it should be installed so that the vanes are folded in the correct direction to take account of the direction of rotation

Is this really important or will the vanes flip over as soon as the engine is started if the impeller has been installed with the vanes facing the "wrong way"

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since the water pump is Very important, I say make it right since you have reason to believe it's wrong now.
The new vanes will probably flip over and be OK. But that's a lot of stress on the rubber. It's crammed in there pretty good.
I personally like to eliminate the word "probably" from any repair.

Nobody likes re-does. Since you've already been down there, the second time will be much easier.
Fix it right and eliminate "probably".

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No -----Vic ---is asking if blades will flip over if they were installed wrong.----Vic knows how to install an impeller.------And I have taken many pumps apart over the years.----Have never found one with vanes pointing the wrong way , at least not that I can remember.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Yes they will flip to correct direction.... Mercs old direct reversing motor(dockbuster) ran impeller backwards when in reverse.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
SOME impellers won't flip. But they will be obvious at a glance. As far as I know, OMC will all flip.