1967 Johnson Seahorse electric. Running poorly

JustWarminUp

Seaman
At the title says, Wondering where I should start and then next place then next. From there I can report and so forth.

seemed to idle great in the barrel till I hit the lake and tried to use throttle. runs like a 7hp. Great trolling but thats full throttle lol

plugs are correct, wires and coil seem to be good condition.

Pulled plug wires as it was on and it seems only one side of the 4 cyl running.

1,3 effected the motors idle and rev, would kill the motor if left unplugged

2,4 changed nothing when unplugged.

checked cap and rotor, both in great condition.

contacts (points) dont seem bad but I also do not know much of them. (Seem mushroomed to me, but no charring or abnormal scorches ect)

gas is fresh, oil is top, filter I clean.
taking carbs apart in the morning.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Before you start tearing into things do some more diagnostic testing

A compression test if you can borrow or steal a compression tester

Test the sparks on all 4 leads. Be sure you can get a strong spark which will jump 1/4" to 5/16" from all 4

If no sparks on 2 and 4 start investigating the reason .

Have you checked plugs by swapping them around

Turn your attention to the carbs if/when you have 4 good sparks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A lot of those motors have two sets of points. Both need to be cleaned and gaped so they open as the timing marks align.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
One set of points fires Cyl 1 and 3. Other fires 2 and 4.

JustWarminUp

Seaman
Onto the points it is, however upon Inspecting this morning I have a white milky substance leaking from (what I assume) would be an exhaust port above the propeller... i believe i might have a lower end issue as well. Going to order new seals or a new motor, have not decided yet.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That is unburned fuel/oil mixed with water. Some is normal but there is excess because it is not burning in the missing cylinders

JustWarminUp

Seaman
I hope you are right, I have confirmed no spark on the 2,4. Going to resurface the points and gap accordingly. Hope that brings the sparks

JustWarminUp

Seaman
Points corrected, firing on all 4 now.

The white whatever it is has come from the water intake. I'm thinking it's the driveshaft seal?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well they should be tightened after everything is adjusted properly.-----Have not done one in a long time , so I would have to look at a manual.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Points corrected, firing on all 4 now.

The white whatever it is has come from the water intake. I'm thinking it's the driveshaft seal?

One of the most often asked questions here, at least every week. It is fuel/oil/water mix. But whatever you think it is is ok with me. That much oil would empty the gearcase in short order.

JustWarminUp

Seaman
Racerone, I would love to know half of what you have forgotten lol. Where could I find such a manual for this motor? I'm sure it would solve alot of problems.

F_R, I hope you are right that it is simply just blown out carbon deposits/Gas and Oil ect, but I have pulled the drain plug and inspected the brand new lower unit oil I put it last week (yesterday's venture being the first water exposure) it was dark deep green, is now a seafoam green. It is also not coming out the exhaust port, but the Water Intake

( if my research is right the square hole directly above the propeller by about 2-3 inches on the underside of the "Fin" )

And the rate at which it will empty the lower unit is also my main concern as well, I almost do not want to touch the water again for fear of wrecking the beauty.

Edit: Yesterdays venture was 2-3hours in the water.

JustWarminUp

Seaman
I agree, I have gotten the info I needed from this post. I'll make more relevant ones for future problems.

JustWarminUp

Seaman
Click image for larger version  Name:	20200524_113827.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.53 MB ID:	10869825
my proof it's not a "fuel/oil/water mix" coming from "Exhaust port"

This is Fresh from the lower unit, which us brand new as oil, as stated before. Drain plug pulled.

(With only 2 hours in the water I believe it would "Empty my gear case in short order")

Do not worry mods should remove this post BUT ONLY after you have seen it F_R. (Shoot a like on this once you have noticed)

I will make a new thread for "1967 Johnson 60hp Outboard lower unit reseal" and you are more then welcome to help with ideas and expertise. I had no intent to get you frustrated, but you had all intent to say what you said and how you said it.

But whatever you think this is, is ok with me.

next time dont be so quick to bash my assumption. And it's definitely coming from my water intake (square hole right above propeller)
Click image for larger version  Name:	20200524_114225.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	10869826

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If oil is coming out of the water inlet, then the case has to be taken apart and inspected.

I see you have the small prop nut on the large hub prop. I think that prop is a Michigan

I also see your motor has that Adjustable Transom Bracket/Clamp

Last edited:

JustWarminUp

Seaman
Lower unit is now off, pressure check so far has turned up a Massive leak at the Shift link going into the lower unit next to the water pump. (Didnt even need an air system, put my filler hose on and blew into it and could hear it clear as day) continued to spray things down with my system connected but found no other leaks (as of yet) but I also did Not remove the prop or water pump. So I need to check those 2 nearest the prop.

just to clarify,
remove the pump
leave the bearing cap
put shaft in a vise
Remove lower unit from shaft
**Wood block onto upper side, rubber mallet gently**
Remove the 2 - 9/16" nuts
Separate upper from lower (lube on shift shaft)
**Rubber mallet on torpedo**
**watch for needle bearings to fall free, keep track**
And if need be remove another bearing?

Ah-ha There is something funny with that prop, thought so.
Should I get a new prop nut for it, and call it good? My neighbor says the condition of prop is not too bad, but it looks rough to my eye.