35 amp charging system

i have a 1992 200hp xp evinrude outboard. the battery is not charging and the tach is not working i noticed some melted goo running down the block below the stator only on the front side of the motor. the motor still runs perfect just no tach and no charging of the battery would the melting indicate that the stator is the problem or should i replace the regulator rectifier as well i have no way to test the regulator rectifier but the battery is new and the voltage does not increase when the boat is running it stays at around 12 volts so i assume the charging system is faulty i just want to know if a melted part of stator automaticly causes a problem or could it just be the rectifier or should i just go ahead and replace both of them while im at it?

can a faulty rectifier cause the stator to overheat i would hate to have to replace the stator again if i dont replace the rectifier with it

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
can a faulty rectifier cause the stator to overheat i would hate to have to replace the stator again if i dont replace the rectifier with it

I would check the rectifier.

You only need an inexpensive digital multimeter with a "diode test" range to do so. No need to pay zillions of $ for a Fluke

Dont replace parts without a diagnostic test to indicate that they are faulty or you will spend shed loads of beer tokens on parts you don't need

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I agree----Test / learn to test.----Picked up a 175 HP Evinrude years ago.------Came with a numbers of electrical spares.-----Quickly determined that pistons were scored and a compression test would have found the real reason for the lack of performance.

was reading the seloc manual and it states that the only reliable way to test the regulator rectifier on a 35 amp system is observe its effect on charging system output when a battery is fully charged as opposed to when a battery is discharged says to use an ammeter to monitor the output in amps while a pile load tester is used to draw down power from the battery and i dont have a pile load tester is their a different method to do the testing. i already know the stator needs replacing so as far as i can see if the charging problem still persists after i change the stator then the regulator rectifier must be bad. any input would be appreciated thanks

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Think I would take off the power pack and look at the water-cooled rectifier/regulator. See if that is the source of overheating. In that regard, is the cooling system in good operating order -- fresh impeller? Any history of overheating?

No history of overheating i have a stator on the way and i inspected the regulator rectifier and no signs of overheating i also have a new impeller kit on the way ill hook it all up and if its still not charging and tach still not working ill replace the regulator rectifier but the stator is melting down so definately needs replaced