Fd-11 pressure tank

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys, I’ve posted here before about this motor. Hope you’re not tired of me yet? I set the points on this motor. I’ve replaced everything. Got great spark I’ve rebuilt carb. Only thing I haven’t done is rebuild pressure tank. It will pump up and send gas to the carb, but not sure about the air? How would I check to see if tank is holding pressure? Can’t get motor to start with tank. Could it be reeds or ? I’m stuck? Thx

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When you operate the primer you fill the carburetor with fuel.------When motor runs it starts pumping air into the tank.----Pressure in the tank then keep fuel flowing to the motor.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You aren't pumping up the Tank when you are pushing the Button/Plunger, you are actually operating a small Fuel Pump. If the Engine won't start after you have primed it, you can't blame the Tank. The best way to see if the tank is holding pressure is to, after the Engine has run for a bit, open the Fill Cap on the Tank. if there is pressure, you will hear it releasing, the fuller the tank, the quicker the Pressure builds up

Great Spark? Can it jump a 5/16" gap? Wires going to correct Plugs?
Rebuilt the carbs.... Did you remove all the Cor Plug on the Carb and clean out those passages? Is the Float New, and did you set it correctly? Idle Needle out 1 1/2 turns? Hi Speed Needle out one turn?

What are the results of a Compression Test?

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
Racerone. Yes spark jumps 5/16, new coils, points, condensers, wires. New Carb kit, removed core plugs, new float,
float is level. Passes the blow test. Needles set. Compression is 90 each cylinder. New head gasket. It’s a 6 gallon tank. Only put a gallon in? Got motor to start just for a second the other day by spraying gas into carb from spray bottle. If the motor won’t run how can I check that fuel pump that’s in tank? Thought about a new rebuild kit, but it is pumping gas? Can I pump that tank too much? Will it keep pushing gas into carb and flood carb? Thx

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Any chance the air / fuel hoses were switched.-----Remove the high speed needle from the carburetor bowl.----Operate the primer on the tank.----Fuel should pour out.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Not if the float and float valve are operating correctly. Make sure the float isn't upside down, if possible on the FD-11 (think it is). I would set the top needle more lean, which is counter intuitive -- same with h.s. needle. Try with choke off. Fuel/oil mix 24:1 ratio.

[referencing post 4]

Last edited:

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
No sir I marked the new hoses and traced them from tank to motor. I’ll check high speed needle this weekend . Thx for your help.

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
Oldboat1 I have double and triple checked this float. It’s usually not this difficult. I’ve set the points at the highest point on the cam lobe. Basically at the flywheel key. Everything in carb is new. Hell everything is new. Like I said I’m stuck.. thx

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Got a glass filter bowl, doesn't it? Check to be sure the gasket is fresh, and that the sintered filter is clear (maybe try it without the filter). The bowl will not be constantly full of gas.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Glass filter can be a source for air leaks if the gasket is failing -- interrupts fuel feed.