1990 125 Johnson water control valve

I have a 1990 125 Johnson ( J125esxess ) I need to bypass the water control valve on because it is leaking. I read on here about someone bypassing a early 90's 200 Johnson with a 1989 70 hp thermostat and housing. Will these same parts work for mine since it is a V4 instead of a V6 ???

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
guess you need to educate me. The "water control valve" is a spring inside the thermostat housing, isn't it? The thermostat is available for your motor -- thinking that includes the housing, vernatherm, and spring(?)

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Hey, Thanks. I stand....educated. Haven't checked iBoats for availability, but/and see references here to Tim's Outboard for hard to find parts. (can't answer your substitution question -- sorry.)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Part is listed NLA from BRP, but some Dealers might have some in stock. Can the leaking one be fixed/patched with some Epoxy?

Honestly I would like to bypass it and be done with it. I would rather put a regular spring loaded thermostats in it and be done and not have to worry about the valve leaking again.

Has anybody bypassed one before ? I know your not supposed to but what would it hurt to run without the thermostats and just let the water flow through the heads. I know it's not ideal but if the part is broken unavailable and is known to leak why not ?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Cooling System was Engineered to function a Certain Way, to do so requires all of the Parts to be there. Removal of Parts or Changes to Water Flow will result in Operating Parameters that are always Detrimental to Engine performance or Longevity
It is your Engine and you can do whatever you want to it... But I will not say, Sure rip it out, it was never needed in the First Place, it was only put there to break and require a expensive Replacement...
Myself, I would either find a New or Recycled Part, or repair the Existing One.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Wont hurt a thing ...has been done thousand of times on these older looper engines. Will need the cover,gasket,spring and t-stat. Lil pricy but it works great.

The covers for those motors are discontinued does anyone have a different number that will work...getting desperate

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Call some salvage places and see if they have a complete head...this may be how you have to get em..

Is there any way i could use the 125 covers if i block the ports off or are they different on the thermostat side also ? I am going to try some salvage places

Ok i i found one cover and ordered another one...these are extremely hard to find it seems. Im guessing when i put it back together it will be the thermostat , then the spring , gasket and the cover ?