1988 Evinrude 14 HP SPL - only running when hand covering 80% of air intake

Moboater33

Cadet
I can only get my engine going if I cover about 80% of the air intake with my hand and then pull it for a while before it starts up. Doesn’t even fire if my hand isn’t covering most of air intake. Runs fine when it gets goin though.

Any suggestions for how I can fix this?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The motor has a choke or primer.

Are you using the choke if it has one or the primer if it has one? Covering the intake enrichens the fuel mix the same as choke or primer

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That is the 9.9 / 15 hp powerhead mated to the older 25 HP midsection.----Marketed to clear out a warehouse full of old invetory.-----You need to make sure the choke flapper is closing when you pull the knob.-----Model # of the motor ?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
defective plunger ?? have you tried disconnecting the hose on the carb nipple to see if it sqirks fuel properly

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Covering the carb mouth with hand is acting like a choke plate. Your primer is not working due to dirty carb,supply fitting stopped up or primer is o-rings bad

Moboater33

Cadet
I cleaned the carb and the fuel pump last week. Primer seemed to be working fine but I will check it out again.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
How do you operate the primer knob on the motor ?-----Perhaps test it by pumping it and see if it sprays fuel.-------It pulls fuel from the float bowl and sprays it out the other hose.

Moboater33

Cadet
Primer seems to be working the way it should. I can feel the pumping of fuel and tested it by taking off hose and spraying fuel into a rag

werewolf

Seaman
i dont know if this is the same issue i had, but i just sold one of those same motors, it had the primer weak on it and the boy drilled out the primer jet on the top of the carburator also, it had the idle air holes stopped up in carb, i put a jet ski type primer pump on it, cleaned carb out of all the passages, put a hose on the primer jet and blocked it because i couldnt find one , then i just put the hose end in front and pump two squirts in carb fires right up , i tried hooking primer hose to jet on carb but it flooded so i just left it blocked off , a jet ski pump was 17.00 on ebay cheaper than the thin plastic factory pump and wont break on you. ran for three years just fine then sold it