Boat Engine kept running after key was taken out

Hello,

I have a 1976 70 hp Evinrude Outboard motor. I went to dewinterize the boat and it started up and ran normally. After about 5 min of letting it burn off the fogging oil, the engine died but it kept trying to turn over. I took the key out and it continued to try to turn over. I've been looking at forums and I'm thinking it's my ignition switch that has gone bad. Wanted to post on here and see if there's anything else that might have gone wrong? I bought the boat last year and everything ran normally last year.

Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

start troubleshooting. the ignition switch on an outboard grounds the ignition to kill

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Hello,

I have a 1976 70 hp Evinrude Outboard motor. I went to dewinterize the boat and it started up and ran normally. After about 5 min of letting it burn off the fogging oil, the engine died but it kept trying to turn over. I took the key out and it continued to try to turn over. I've been looking at forums and I'm thinking it's my ignition switch that has gone bad. Wanted to post on here and see if there's anything else that might have gone wrong? I bought the boat last year and everything ran normally last year.

Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated

Not sure what you mean by " the engine died but kept trying to turn over"

If turning the key to off does not kill it may be a defective key switch but could be a break or bad connection in the wiring to it

If the starter motor is turning it over then it could be a defective switch or a fault in the wiring or possibly a defective solenoid

Either way diagnostic testing is needed