Qs about maintenance on the tiller arm controls, on a 1981 Evenrude 25HP outboard

flywelder

Seaman Apprentice
I want to know, if, there is any maintenance I need to perform on the throttle control located in the tiller arm of this outboard?
In 22 years, I have never had mine apart. I bought my outboard used. I have no manual for it. I have no service manual for it. I cannot find a service manual for it. I searched the internet, my local library has a general service manual that covers many outboards, but, after reading through it, I found no chapter covering 'the throttle controls on a tiller arm'; and I searched the web for days, for answers to my questions, and I have found no answers. I am posting my question to this group, in hopes some have this engine now or at one time, and have knowledge and experience, working on this motor, and can answer my question.
My questions are: My throttle grip on the tiller arm is not super easy to twist. Maybe it should be easier to twist ? or is it normal to take the wrist strength of a man over a woman or even a teenager?
I have oiled all the throttle linkage under the engine cowl. Still it is not the easiest to rotate. My wife complains of the amount of strength it requires to rotate the grip and keep it at a certain throttle speed. and she now refuses to operate the engine with it this way.
I am asking, should I be lubricating with oil or grease, anything under the the " rotating grip"? If I am, then please tell me how to go about that? For I have starred at the tiller arm and grip trying to find a way for the 'grip' itself, to come off the arm., and I'm stumped and turning to this forum group for help.
The image below is not my personal engine, it is a picture of the exact engine I have. I have included it, to help others know what motor I am writing about.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
The armature plate support and the bearing underneath get gummed up with old grease, making it difficult to rotate the timing plate. Reach underneath the flywheel and see if you can turn the plate by hand (engine off) -- should not feel stiff.

(By the way, that motor in the pic is going to run hot -- water depth looks to be about 6 - 8 inches too shallow.)

[edit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-OMC-25...1c64985f9f83aa ]

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Facts for you.-----#1 there is not nearly enuff water in your test bucket.-----Water MUST be 6" above the pump !------There is a friction piece way up inside the grip that shout be lubricated.-----And there is a nylon bushing on the shaft near the gear.----That bushing gets corrosion around the outside of it.----Then it JAMS on the shaft.-------Go ahead and take the grip off.----Split the handle and inspect this.----Nothing to it.

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
im thinking he didnt understand how to get the grip off

flywelder

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks every one! tblshur is correct, I don't understand how to get the grip off.
Thanks racer one, I will look at those areas, once I am told how to get the grip off.
Recall, that I said, the engine in the picture is NOT me, and NOT my engine. I do agree with you though, I also thought the water level looked too low, and the water container too small.

flywelder

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for the links to the diagrams! excellent! Now, do I understand correctly from the diagram , that: a screw some where on the rubber grip, has to be removed and then the grip will come off? then I would lube with ( what) any where I think lube could help?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes there is a screw ( fine thread ) that holds the handle grip on.----Sometimes it is covered when the grip black rubber has moved.----Certainly a lot easier / cheaper to maintain the newer cable units.----Way up inside the grip is a tapered friction piece that needs grease.----And the nylon bushing at the gear needs to be checked.

flywelder

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you racerone, your descriptions, and assurance and explanation, gave me the confidence to tear it apart. I did so, and I lubed it up, and reassembled it! Thank you!! Next, is to set the linkage, and fuel adjustments, to factory settings, and then try to start the motor. Such as a initial setting, for the idol speed control screw; and the 'Cam' and others. Any tips, and recommendations, I would gladly accept. Thank you again!!

Last edited: