Could I use a mid 80s 25hp lower unit on a 74 Evinrude 35hp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have two motors that I picked up for parts. One is an 84 25hp and the other is a 74 35hp.

The 35 has the old school round water intakes and the 25 has the square plastic screens. The lower on the 35 froze and not only split the case(Fixable) but it shoved the bearing carrier so hard it sheared off the groove for the oring that keeps the gears in place.

The 25hp gear case looks like it will bolt up fine with the only difference being the shift rod configuration.

So my question is can I make a frankenmotor by combining the 35hp powerhead and mid section with the 25hp lower unit?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Lets get the facts first.------What model # is on this 1974 model 35 HP Evinrude.

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, new development.

Model # is : 35603s ......74 35hp

But I found a different lower that is PN 324095

Which is a much closer match. Would that work on this motor.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Bring the parts over with a small box of suds.----I could tell you in an instant if it will fit !!----Sorry I am not going to be the interchange manual for you.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Ok, new development.

Model # is : 35603s ......74 35hp

But I found a different lower that is PN 324095

Which is a much closer match. Would that work on this motor.

So you do not know the year of your motor....you are asking whether a substitution from the different HP and 10+ year model difference will work....but you somehow know that this latest find, a 324095 is a closer match without explaining why we should accept that you even have the right part number?
You are right, "this is pathetic".

kbait

Commander
Quote ‘This is pathetic’
Hint: Not an effective strategy for soliciting advice..

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So you do not know the year of your motor....you are asking whether a substitution from the different HP and 10+ year model difference will work....but you somehow know that this latest find, a 324095 is a closer match without explaining why we should accept that you even have the right part number?
You are right, "this is pathetic".

Boy, you sure seem angry for someone who doesnt have a dog in the fight.

I had earlier read this information given by....another poster in this thread.

"With modifications you can fit the 1961 to 1963 model 10 HP.-----The 9.5 HP from 64 to 73 will bolt right on.------Bushing above the pinion gear along with the driveshaft is a weakness on these .-----You likely know that now."

Which lends me to believe this poster is very knowledgeable (I know this for a fact) on subjects like this and pretty much disproves your "10year difference + different HP" to be a valid point..

Now good sir, what you may not have taken into account in forming your petulant tirade is the simple fact that I dont even know what I dont know.

Let that sink in for a minute.

I have google, but what I dont have is the knowledge of all the ins and outs of the complexities of the manufacturers parts numbering system or even the difference between a part number or a casting number.

Something you could have calmly explained, but hey, get angry, its your life.

Now take into account that I have a well know, knowledgeable poster who, I dont know, lets say hes had a few beers and just feels like posting, which he has every right to do, but is being in my opinion less than helpful.

So, yes, I found the exchange up to that point to be pathetic.

This is not the first time I have seen this on this board, neither is it the first time I have seen you acting out in a similar manner as you have again in this thread.

Funny thing is, the same posters act much differently on the many other resourceful outboard engine help boards.

Maybe its just s click thing. Maybe you need a place to show off how big your E ***** is.

Either way, my assessment stands.

Enjoy your board gentlemen.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
RaisedByWolves A funny thing - When you treat people like crap, they tend to ship it back.

My advice is to shut up if you don't agree. Do the sensible thing and ignore those posts you don't like. No one in the forum owes you anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.