Outboard motor swap

cchayes

Recruit
Hi all,
im looking for some advice. I have a pontoon with a 1996 40HP Johnson. I want to increase the power and have been offered a strait across trade for a 1975 70HP Johnson... any thoughts? Is it a fair trade value wise? Any problems with the age difference? Thank in advance for all the advice.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Walk away.---Wait , run away from that even trade.-----Unless the 70 hp had a 1 year warranty.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There is a forum here on iboats just for questions about Johnson engines. I'd suggest you ask there. .... But my instincts say no.

cchayes

Recruit
Motor swap

Hi all,
im looking for some advice. I have a pontoon with a 1996 40HP Johnson. I want to increase the power and have been offered a strait across trade for a 1975 70HP Johnson... any thoughts? Is it a fair trade value wise? Any problems with the age difference? Thank in advance for all the advice.

matt167

Captain
Find a newer engine, or get some cash ontop. a '75 70 has hydro mechanical shift and getting some of the parts that might go bad will be difficult. This is $1k + engine vs an engine that tops at $1k if it's pristine

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thanks guys! I’ll will repost in the Johnson forum

Please dont post multiple topics on the same subject

2 topics have been merged

If you think a topic would be better served in a different forum, ask any Mod to move it for you, dont start a 2nd topic.

cchayes

Recruit
No problem, I’ll do that. Just out of curiosity is my question merged into the Johnson Outboard section?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
No problem, I’ll do that. Just out of curiosity is my question merged into the Johnson Outboard section?

I dont know where you originally posted your question but I have read it twice, posted just over 13 hours apart in the Evinrude and Johnson section

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This complete thread, this one, is in the correct forum, Johnson/Evinrude.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Make a cash offer on the '75 70 if interested. Run the '96 while rehabbing the '75.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Hi all,

Don't know anything about your 'toon, but are you confident the added horsepower will do much beyond burn more gas? I'd think seriously about it.