Want a newer cowling for my 1986 225hp.....what are my options

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1986 225hp E225txcda...I assume it is a 90 degree looper. Are there any newer upper and lower cowlings that would fit perfectly? If so can someone tell what years would work?

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
poking around on a marine parts site looks like my range of cowlings that will work is 1986-1992, with anything from 1988-1992 would require a little reconfiguring for the Telltale.

matt167

Captain
Cheap way to upgrade is to have a decal reproduction company modify decals for a newer year onto an older cowl. They generally have no issues doing that if you get a decal that is close enough

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
That cowling should be pretty easy to disassemble and detail, unless it's completely wasted -- in an accident, maybe.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
There is some fiberglass repair that I need to do, then a bunch of sanding....was just looking for less time consuming avenue.

I will probably just repair and sand and have someone spray white and clear coat, then I'll buy newer decals.

rothfm

Ensign
yea, if money isnt an object...Drop them at an auto body shop. They can do it up pretty nice with hardened paint. Then order repro decals.

Otherwise Ive done many myself, lots of work. But you can achieve really nice results with a rattlecan and new decals. Or if you have a sprayer, do it yourself and add hardener to the paint. Almost new results.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah definitely will take the parts to a pro paint guy....

Any suggestions on the white? BRP, Suzuki, mercury? or a car mfg's white?

I like stark white, not bone or cream.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
So decided to keep the cowling...
so fr sanded it down, fixed all the issues with the fiberglass
Bought new decals and for an E-TEC, and got the guys to make it say NO-TEC instead

now deciding as to what white to get.
my choices are BRP white - which seems a little off white
Cold Fusion White by Mercury
Yamaha white
Suzuki white
and even got a suggestion for White for a Porsche Carrera

matt167

Captain
I'd use Rustoleum Professional White.. It's white, and decent quality paint