1993 Lowe Gen III only runs when primer soleniod is used

Michael Allen

Recruit
When I crank the engine I have to keep using the primer solenoid every five seconds to keep it running and then it will eventually kill out. I can put a rag over the front of the carb with my hand over it and it will actually run and idol but then eventually I can't hold it anymore and it dies out. It almost acts like fuel-air is off. I just cleaned the carbs. I have just been putting the fuel hose directly into a gas can and not having it connected up to the gas tank because I didn't want a bunch of fuel sitting in between uses, so I am not sure if that may be messing something up as well. Any help would be good.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

1993 Lowe Gen III is not a motor. What Johnson/Evinrude motor?

How did you clean the carbs? Carb cleaning is usually a waste of time when it needs rebuilding.

Michael Allen

Recruit
I took all the jets out and cleaned everything. It is a Johnson 2 stroke 40hp. I guess what would be the sign of a carb needing to be rebuilt?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When you push the key in the primer valve opens.------Fuel goes directly into the back of the carburetor throat.-----This fuel bypasses the metering circuits in the carburetor.------This would suggest that carburetors need inspection.----Pay particular attention to the high sped jets ( orifice plug ) that are screwed into the carburetor bowl.----This jet is about 5/8" long and has 1/4-NC thread.

Michael Allen

Recruit
If this is the one in the very bottom of the bowl it is clean and I can see all the way through it. It is pretty knarled up though from taking it in and out for cleaning and it was stuck in there from when it was dirty but I finally got it out. I just can't find new ones anywhere to replace them.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is something wrong in your carburetors I say.---Jets are not hard to find in my neighborhood.-----Model # of the motor ?----Your location ?

Michael Allen

Recruit
The model number is TJ40ELETB I live in Pensacola, FL. I have been looking on Amazon and nothing looked right.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not believe you will find an Evinrude mechanic at the AMAZON help desk.-----Hurry to your local friendly dealer and get some !!

Michael Allen

Recruit
Huge update. The orifice plugs were perfectly fine. I ended up getting the engine cranked the first crank once we figured out that the fuel line was air locked. I removed the VRO fuel pump that also mixes the oil and fuel. I changed it to an Edelbrock electric fuel pump. In doing so apparently, I hooked it all up and I guess I should have primed it all through or something. But it has only been letting enough fuel for if you mashed the primer solenoid. The bulb would get extremely tight but still not a lot of fuel in the fuel filter. We took the fuel line off the fuel filter and fuel was pushing out with lots of pressure but then all of a sudden it started spewing and sputtering air for a good little bit. Primed it through that line and hooked it back up. The bulb felt much better (more of suction than hard tight) and the fuel filter visually could fill up with fuel. And it cranked right up.