Opinions please.... 😊

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Hi All,

I am going to retire my 1988 Force 125h.p, and a new Evinrude E-tec 115 h.o g2 was recommended for my set up.

I understand it's a new engine, but does anyone have any feedback or known problems with this engine?

I'm going for power steering as an option, otherwise it will be stock. They say it doesn't need a service until 5 years, then every 100 hours..... Seems like a stretch.

Any thoughts and feedback appreciated before I spend my hard earned!

Cheers
​​​​​

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
NO, go Mercury or Yamaha maybe Suzuki.
I'm all for buying American made but the BRP just isn't what I'd buy.
I hear bad things about Suzuki warranty's. Not sure if they are rumors or fact???

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do they not provide a 7 year warranty on these E-tec machines ?-------Correct there is no SCHEDULED maintenance required on the Evinrude in the first 5 years.------Run it full throttle out of the box !

alldodge

Staff member
Force weight 300 lb
Evinrude 390 lb

10 less hp and 90 pounds heavier, so performance will be impacted. Also the stern will set lower, check if this could be an issue for swamping on bilge pump exit port

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Go.for the E-tec, they are as good as anything out there with a great warranty.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
Well I have a 2005 75hp ETEC which has been a dream ( very few minor things) starts on a dime every Spring launch
after 6 months storage

You should visit the Etec user site for specific comments on the G2 but if it is anything like or better than my 75hp
it shoud be a dream engine. All motors have their qwirks , bad luck and lemons I guess

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/?forum=115573

I did have one issue on my early version "ETEC" no oil code 38s but it was fixed way past warranty by BRP
so no complaints from me about BRP customer care.

just change gearcase oil , use 2+4d stabilizer regularly and burn XD-100 oil for a NO SMELL NO SMOKE operation

Attachments

• photo283553.jpg
    photo283553.jpg
    689.5 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Motor choice is different for every situation / budget.--------Dealer friend said that he " loves the 4 stokes " as they come in for regular visits.------Oil changes means fork lift fee . oil , filters / sparkplugs and $300 / $400 each invoice.-----That was for his " high end " customers.----If you can do this work at home it is different.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Force weight 300 lb
Evinrude 390 lb

10 less hp and 90 pounds heavier, so performance will be impacted. Also the stern will set lower, check if this could be an issue for swamping on bilge pump exit port

No,etec h.o. motors are allowed to fudge the numbers by 10 percent .So the 115 is closer to 130hp non h.o.! I lost the link but this is allowed by the outboard standards org what ever its called.Only h.o. motors are allowed to do this.The h.o. 225 is actually 265hp!I believe continuous wave has several threads on this subject.The 115 will have a larger gearcase and gearing than the force also_O.P. why do you think the 5 year or 500 hr no touch motor service schedule is a strech?Did my 60 at the dealer at 3 years and the gear oil had barely turned color.Coming on 8 years of flaweless running and 4 years of that is on the xd100 setting which produces amazing oil ratio,s .Probably 250 to 300 to 1 at idle and well in excess of 100 to 1 at full throttle. My friend bought a 15 foot 1976 smokercraft that somebody had put a 115 etec on and besides the fact that the boat was way overpowered the motor was stellar.He did sell the etec but only for safety's sake and put on a small yammy.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
No,etec h.o. motors are allowed to fudge the numbers by 10 percent .So the 115 is closer to 130hp non h.o.! I lost the link but this is allowed by the outboard standards org what ever its called.Only h.o. motors are allowed to do this.The h.o. 225 is actually 265hp!I believe continuous wave has several threads on this subject.The 115 will have a larger gearcase and gearing than the force also_O.P. why do you think the 5 year or 500 hr no touch motor service schedule is a strech?Did my 60 at the dealer at 3 years and the gear oil had barely turned color.Coming on 8 years of flaweless running and 4 years of that is on the xd100 setting which produces amazing oil ratio,s .Probably 250 to 300 to 1 at idle and well in excess of 100 to 1 at full throttle. My friend bought a 15 foot 1976 smokercraft that somebody had put a 115 etec on and besides the fact that the boat was way overpowered the motor was stellar.He did sell the etec but only for safety's sake and put on a small yammy.
All outboards are required to be +/- 10% of the hp rating. HO motors are usually on the higher side.of.that rating. Nothing to do.with just E-tecs Every manufacturer has had some kind of performance model.that pushes the + 10% #. If.I bought an E-tec I would have the oil pump set to Tc3 3 and run the best oil I could afford in it.

82rude

Rear Admiral
My apologies guys my math is out of wack today, the 250 ho was dynode at 265 plus. not the 225..My 670h.o. ski-doo mxz was reported to be 128hp but in reality was dyno tested at 140hp!Which explained wherei it got the name of 800 killer from.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Flyingscott I meant all h.o.,s not just evinrudes should of stated that more clearly,sorry for the confusion.Crosbyman if you let the vid continue on to the next one its even more telling and the numbers and test methodology are fair.

alldodge

Staff member
No,etec h.o. motors are allowed to fudge the numbers by 10 percent .

Really

And a boat test vid does make it so just because its in a vid. Boat test is bought and paid for by which ever company is paying boat test. There is nothing wrong with a motor producing more power then listed, only less, farm equipment has been doing it for years.

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Lets put this in a nutshell shall we. There are no bad motors anymore except for the chinese branded motors. Any motor from the big 5 is going to be a decent motor for you.
Your decision should come down to Ergonomics that is how comfortable the controls are to you. The warranty and dealer location should be what drives your decision.

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
AllDodge, did you watch the second vid?How can you dispute the facts on that one.If were totally on the wrong page please forgive me as im not looking for a fight .Simple fact is the 150 h.o. could get the boat on plane and the 200 Yamaha couldn't even produce 10 mph .Lots of independent tests come to the same conclusions also.Heck I like yamahas and would serious concider one if I was in the market but numbers don't lie.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Force weight 300 lb
Evinrude 390 lb

Keep in mind the old force/chysler/us marine engines horsepower output were rated at the crankshaft. All modern outboards are rated at the propshaft. So there's that, another consideration is "how" horsepower is measured is standardized these days, back when this engine was made different companies had different "schemes" as to how they measured horsepower. This ETEC (or any other modern day outboard rated at 115 HP) is going to blow that old force out of the water. The 90 pound weight difference is also negligible, you are talking about the weight of a pre-teen. If an extra 90 pounds is going to make or break the boats performance, then that boat is going to be rated for something a lot higher than 115 HP.

82rude

Rear Admiral
As said earlier theres no bad outboards except Chinese ones.At least the Chinese ones sold here are not up to par.Comes down to personal choice I guess.I agonized for a long time over merc ,yammy ,and Evinrude.The dealer gave me a deal I couldn't refuse on the etec and ive been very happy for 8 years so far.Did you buy the 115 rude or still looking ?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Need to stop comparing apples to oranges...All the posters with E-Tec's the G2 is a totally different engine. The old E-tec 115 was a 4 cylinder...the G2 115 is a 3 cylinder inline.