do I have a kill switch, and what engine is this?

J.cowling

Cadet
I recently bought a junk boat with a nice engine and trailer. I know its a 1996 200 HP. Not sure if it's the 60 degree, or 90 degree engine. I've never owned a Johnson. Serial number is G 04162860, Model # J200STLEDM

I figured I'd give it a quick test to see if it would run. I shot some starting fluid in the carbs, and spun it over. Didn't even get a fire. I've read they have to spin a certain RPM to get fire. Not sure what that is, but it's not spinning super slow. I also keep reading about the lanyard kill switch. There is not the typical lanyard kill switch up where the driver sits. Is it somewhere else?

I'ver never had the VRO setup, but I pulled the brass screw on the bottom of the carbs and they all drained straight oil. Like the pump pumped oil, but not fuel. But the starter fluid should have fired it off anyways.

Anything I need to be looking at to get the spark? I haven't gone through it very in depth yet and checked coils, and stator windings and all that yet. I'm just curious if there is a kill switch somewhere, a black and yellow wire possibly?

Thanks,

F_R

Supreme Mariner
A lanyard kill switch would be useless if not "where the driver sits". Usually, it is in the remote control. We don't know what kind of control you have, nor if you even have a control. After all, you did say it is a junk boat.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That would be a 90 degree looper engine.----Just my opinion , but it costs no money to take starter apart for inspection.-----No money to load test your battery.----Any pictures of this project boat ?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If it’s like my Evinrude, the kill switch is built into the key switch. Piece of red plastic that fits under the key hole somehow...

Can’t give you any more installation details. Lost mine 20 years ago

511f50f4-5bb7-4f9f-918d-f8555d6fa582