Improving performance of johnson 55hp

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
The early years of the 70 did have some teething problems, Like Racer said, a slightly newer one would be preferable. But if you insist on the 76, be sure to inspect the engine(compression, gear oil, etc) Prior to purchase, it is a 44 yr old engine, and again some parts are getting difficult to find. 76 still had the Hydro-Mechanical Gearshift. First thing before you take it out on the water would be a new Water Pump Impeller.

Yeah these old engines like to screw me. Had a 1972 7hp eska that I just scrapped because parts were too expensive. Its gonna be a couple months until the season starts here so I've got time to look around. Still kicking myself for passing on an Evinrude 88 spl for $150 last summer.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Yeah I surely want to stay away from the electric shift stuff. Why they wanted to make it so complicated is beyond me. Maybe because push button transmission cars were popular back then?

The Electric Shift was an extremely simple and well engineered design. The Hydro-Electric was also a well engineered design, a bit more complex, but well done. Neglect and/or wrong oils were about their only problems. Shifting at Too High RPM could wreck them, but that also wrecked many other shift systems too

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Sorry ---the switch from hydro-mechanical was made midway through the 75 model year.-----All 1976 models are mechanical shift !-----Lots of newer gearcases bolt right on and will shift the correct way.

Thanks for the correction Racer, I thought the changeover was 77

racerone

Supreme Mariner
V-4 and V-6 models in 77 perhaps , and the 2 & 3 cylinder motors were switched before 77 model year.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Chevy----Hydro-mechanical shift is NOT electric shift.-----And electric shift is really well designed , well built , just not well understood !

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
So knowing what you both know about the electric shift and electro hydraulic shift are they worth owning in 2020? I've seen a couple of them around but I wrote them off because of the electronics.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I myself is not afraid of them.-----They are well engineered.-------Most folks do not understand 12 volts and wires.----You see many posts about mechanical shift motors jumping out of gear.---Rarely an electric shift that jumps out of gear.------And todays vehicles have more and more ( NOT NEEDED ) electrical stuff in the transmissions and such.-----Most is very reliable but expensive to repair.-----The hydro-electric shift is an elegantly simple , reliable piece of fine machinery !!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If you find one that is good condition and has been well maintained, they are good outboards, however sinking a bunch of money in repairs for a 45 - 48 yr old motor is kind of shredding the money, it doesn't increase the value of the engine very much...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 1972 model 65 HP might be a consideration.-----Only if it has the newer pistons with thick wall pistons.----It has the newer style magneto electronic ignition.

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Funny you should mention the 65hp because there's a 65hp "powershift 2" which appears to be the 3 cylinder block available for cheap somewhat near me.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Power shift II ----Is NOT electric shift !------1973 is a 65 hp.-------1974 was the first year for 70 HP models.----The 49 cubic inch 3 cylinder was marketed from 1968 to 1988

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
First there was the Electric Shift. called Selectric by Evinrude, and Electramatic by Johnson
Next came the Hydro-Electric Shift, also called Selectric by Evinrude and Hydro-Electric by Johnson
Then in 73 the Hydro-Mechanical was introduced, Power Pilot by Evinrude and Powershift II by Johnson
3 different systems, all with their Pros and Cons.

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
First there was the Electric Shift. called Selectric by Evinrude, and Electramatic by Johnson
Next came the Hydro-Electric Shift, also called Selectric by Evinrude and Hydro-Electric by Johnson
Then in 73 the Hydro-Mechanical was introduced, Power Pilot by Evinrude and Powershift II by Johnson
3 different systems, all with their Pros and Cons.

Very good info to have đź‘Ť

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Would a 1987 force 4 cyl 85hp have the same bolt pattern as my 55? Found one for $200.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the Force is a good option.----Might even use the same bolt holes in your transom.------But inspect your transom before mounting that power house.

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
The transom is solid overall but there are some soft spots. Max HP for this hull is 85 so theoretically it can take it.