Evinrude 150xp timing HELP

KC-Pumpman

Cadet
I can’t find reeves method for static timing anywhere. Yes I know this has been discussed 17 bazillion times. Any help would be great!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Timing normally does NOT change over the life of the motor.-----But a sheared flywheel key does throw out the timing.----That can happen if the flywheel nut is not torqued.----Can happen if tapers are not perfectly clean and dry on assembly.----What is your motor doing / not doing ?

KC-Pumpman

Cadet
I put a new timer base one it along with a stator, ignition coils, cdi box. I just can’t get it to start. Has fuel and spark?

KC-Pumpman

Cadet
I should also mention someone (me) more than likely messed with some of the linkage...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Throwing all those parts at is a mistake in my opinion.----Your motor should at least try to start.------NOW load test your battery.-----Take the starter apart for inspection.-----

KC-Pumpman

Cadet
New starter and new battery. It’s had so many new parts. It has been starting but not easy and now it tries but backfires and just won’t get it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
And what else has been done ?----How long have you owned it ?-------When did it run nicely for you ?

KC-Pumpman

Cadet
I’ve had it 5 years. Started having problems end of last year. It didn’t ever run right all winter or summer. I had to replace the stator because it melted and I did the timer base at the same time. Then the power pack went out and I replaced that with all of the ignition coils at the same time. The starter was replaced in between all of that along with new cables and a new battery. Basically it been causing me a lot of problems the last year.

KC-Pumpman

Cadet
I also need to mention the carbs were rebuilt. I was told by a local marine mechanic I needed to have it timed and a lync and sync. I don’t have a manual yet. Trying to track one down.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Guess you might have had an overheat episode at some point -- most likely to be a water pump issue. The motor has a water cooled regulator that can torch the engine if the cooling system fails -- mechanical failure or operator failure. But short of the regulator issue, serious overheating could be enough to destroy ignition parts.

Did the motor overheat?

KC-Pumpman

Cadet
Yep forgot that I replaced the regulator. It hasn’t overheated since I’ve had it. This is where I am stumped. It has literally had everything replaced.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Compression test done ?-----Electric primer valve working as it should ?------I would say something very simple is being overlooked.------Start your trouble shooting check list here.-----And don't throw out all the parts that have been replaced.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^agree. Start with basics -- flywheel key/timing, measure open-air spark, compression test. Seems the stator melted on your watch, though, after running the engine w/o issues for about five years. Would Indicate something happened to cause the melt down (need not have been as exciting as an engine fire).

KC-Pumpman

Cadet
I did replace the flywheel key also. I checked the magnets but not sure what I was looking for.

so I messed with it tonight and the number 1 cylinder hasn’t been firing? The spark plug is better than new. The others you can tell have been firing. I’m lost!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those ignition systems can produce voltage to jump a gap of 1/2" if all is in order.----The new flywheel key that you installed was a factory replacement I hope.

KC-Pumpman

Cadet
Yes it was a factory key. It was a statement about the spark and fuel. Wasn’t meant to have the question mark.