starting Johnson 130

the_dude

Seaman
I read all kinds of wiki's and threads before posting this. Trust me, I don't want to waste anyone's time.

I have a 1996 Johnson 130 that if I leave sit for a week is hard to start. Every two stroke I've ever had has some sort of procedure you have to use to start it. I'm hoping that's all I need here.

It seems to flood when I try to start it by pushing the key in. I've tried half throttle, full throttle, idle...always with the button pushed in to not engage the prop. Sometimes I wait what seems like forever and I can then start it without pushing the key in and full throttle. (read that somewhere)

Once it starts once, it's good for multiple days. No problems. It's literally just getting it to start once. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It's rather frustrating. Thanks in advance for any responses.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You are pushing the key in while cranking it over ?------Have you inspected the starter motor ?----Load tested the battery ?----Have you checked that the electric PRIMER valve is opening when key is pushed in ?

the_dude

Seaman
pushing key in yes. starter engages the flywheel just fine. I hear the primer valve opening, I smell the gas...there's got to be something I'm missing.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
" Starter engages just fine "-----Is a common reply.----If starter / battery do not turn the flywheel fast enough there will be no spark.-----If motor has the " quick start " feature is it working ?----Sorry but you have to do the trouble shooting steps.----Oil injection in service or mixing at 50:1 on this motor ?

Nordin

Commander
Dude maybe you are flooding it while you use the choke/primer.
Have you tried to start it without choke/priming, just fast idle at the remote control.

BTW this post should be in the johnny/rude forum.
You get more answers about this in right brand forum.
Here we are asking about Chrysler/Force OB (but all older two stroker OB are very similar).

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Like the others suggest check/rebuild the starter, compression test(post results).
Then maybe change the primer?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some simple trouble shooting will find the problem on " hard to start " motors.-------No such thing as a motor " in good condition " that will be hard to start.

the_dude

Seaman
compression test is around 100 all cylinders within a couple psi, I very well may be flooding it. I see a lot of oily gas. Not sure if it has a quick start feature. I have 2 new batteries that are fully charged and I set the switch to both...lots of juice. I'll try fast idle like you recommended and post back.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I would measure spark to be sure it’s about half an inch — need an adjustable open air tester, not the in-line type. If you have correct spark, you can avoid ignition testing and some potentially high costs. Test spark with all plugs out.

Check to see that the lever on the primer valve is parallel to the valve body (run position). Be sure you are using fresh gas with no contamination. You didn’t respond to the question about your fuel system (VRO?). In any case, it would be a good idea to use a clean portable tank and fuel line, with a couple of gallons at 50:1 mix. If you have VRO, disconnect the oil supply for testing.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In this case I would test for spark with plugs in.----Remember the OP claims that his batteries are good and starter has not been proven to be in good shape for proper cranking speed.------Yes , you need to do some simple testing to find out what is the problem

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Folks seem more willing to work on stators than starters, so thinking the OP might be better off ruling out ignition issues early on if he can. I just worked on a 175 for a friend who said there were cold starting problems — pulled the starter and cleaned it as a first step. But people seem to resist doing that until they go though a series of other hoops.

the_dude

Seaman
Sorry, non-VRO. 50:1 gas mix. I didn't get a chance to mess with it today. Hopefuly tomorrow.

the_dude

Seaman
I swapped the plugs in it today and it started right up, like 2nd try. Fingers crossed. I guess it had NGK and the boat shop said it should have champion.

the_dude

Seaman
pfft nevermind. Still the same issue. I still suspect it's flooding. I can smell the gas. I wonder if the primer thing is letting too much gas in. Is that something that can be swapped easily to check?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do some testing by using the electric primer valve in the manual mode.