Oil comparisons

whmstang99

Cadet
Evinrude Dx 50 synthetic blend versus Pennzoil marine advanced plus for my 200hp Johnson Ocean runner
Dx 50 twice the price and the review on Pennzoil is a good one

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I run nothing but XD50 and Pennzoil Premium Plus in my Ocean Pro

I buy in gallon case lots. XD runs me ~ $6 more a gallon than Pennzoil but includes a carbon guard in the formulation saving the cost of a separate carbon additive.

Pretty much break even when all is said and done.

whmstang99

Cadet
Thanks. Yea I like the carbon guard. So do you alternate a gallon of xd 50 and then the Pennzoil?
also do you buy on line? My marina I am paying 45 a gallon for XD 50 and Pennzoil I get at Advance Auto for 18 big difference.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If your expensive 200 hp needs repairs will Advance Auto look at it ??-------If you need a dealer to repair it then a little support now and then will keep his doors open !!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So do you alternate a gallon of xd 50 and then the Pennzoil?
No. I use whatever brand is in the box at the time of need.

I have a 152 gallon on-board fuel capacity with the 3 gallon oil tank.

If I don't procrastinate and order oil when I use the last gallon, l order XD 50 on-line which typically arrives in 3-5 days. Otherwise, I end up running to the local auto parts store and buy a case of Pennzoil, maybe two, if it's on sale.

Last edited:

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
These are synthetics we are talking about correct?? IK thought the whole idea of using a synthetic was to reduce carbon..?? So why an additive?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
These are synthetics we are talking about correct?? IK thought the whole idea of using a synthetic was to reduce carbon..?? So why an additive?
Both are semi-synthetic oils

Reason....Trolling (900-950 rpm) 8-10 hours a day, 5-6 days a week in season

Last edited:

thatone123

Banned
IT's very hard to believe that Evinrude E-tec oil for example, will do anything better than regular synthetic oil will do. Outboard companies have always tried to get the public to buy their brand. Most different brands of a lot of goop sold by different companies are the exact same thing. A guy did a through test of penetrating oils on UTUBE and break fluid did as good as any of them and some of the "name" brands did not do well. Go see it yourself as it is illuminating.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
IT's very hard to believe that Evinrude E-tec oil for example, will do anything better than regular synthetic oil will do. Outboard companies have always tried to get the public to buy their brand. Most different brands of a lot of goop sold by different companies are the exact same thing. A guy did a through test of penetrating oils on UTUBE and break fluid did as good as any of them and some of the "name" brands did not do well. Go see it yourself as it is illuminating.

BUT Evinrude dealers will set the oil pump up differently for different brands of oil. And it is youtube not utube don't get lazy with the fingers.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have heard of BRAKE fluid.-----Do not know where to buy BREAK fluid.

thatone123

Banned
Same place you get...Malarkey...just ask Smokey Joe Biden... Are you sure it's not UTUBE...I've used it for 20 years and always thought it was UTUBE?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, isn't a '99 Oceanrunner a six carb motor? If so, and TCW-III oil will work just fine.

I use the Wallyworld brand in my '98 Oceanrunner 150HP 6 carb motor. No issues and at about $13.50/gallon, the price is right.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fact-----Many products were made ( quality made ) and then the price was determined.------Today on many products the price is determined by marketing folks.--------Then the product is made / blended / fabricated / packaged / fancy labelled to suit that price.----Quality is a secondary consideration , volume of sales count foremost.