Checking Timing

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
Is it ok to hit those contacts with some 100 grit paper or does that risk altering air gap?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would not worry about corrosion on the tip of the rotor , on the distributor cap or any rust on the flywheel !

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
When setting points how much drag should there be with feeler gauge ? Thanks

thatone123

Banned
I've fooled with that drag business going all the way back to my old 47 Ford 1 Ton pick-up with flathead engine. It seems to me that you want the gauge to slide through the points with slight drag, but smooth. I remember some articles and manuals describing it that way when America was America.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If this motor has been stored for 8 - 10 years (?), the l.u. lube is due to be changed, and probably the impeller. Depending on how it was stored, there is always a possibility of critter nests.

Is there a chance that your running issues are related to the gear case? Clutch damage with the hydro electric is probably rare, but there is a spring and clutch assembly that might need work.

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
Hi, no this motor has been in use, but probably only has 50-100 hours on it since 2009. I put up with the miss, because the guys who rebuilt the motor were in the process of closing their business, and arent efficient at getting services done. Highly reputable place that was in business since the 1920s, knew these motors inside and out. You might be surprised but outside of the paint, this is a pristine motor, dollars spent well beyond its worth to bring it back to reliable use in 2009 - full rebuild including pistons, rings, (1970s flat tops and rods), newer carbs, power pac, coil. Gearcase was resealed a few years earlier, impeller changed in 2009 and I will change it as soon as replacement arrives. I replaced engine wire harness several years before that but still in nice shape.

It ran really poorly in 2010, and I did bring it back to the shop and they found a defective coil, but the miss continued.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Run with a timing light to see which plug might have the miss.-----Cleaned the distributor cap / rotor ?----Perhaps run at night to see if spark is arcing out somewhere.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Did you have it from brand new?
If not do you have the history from when you did get it?

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
No, I bought this motor in 1998 as a teenager because it matched the age of my boat (family heirloom kind of thing). It didnt run all that well, BUT it did not miss, until after the rebuild. Ironically, when I bought it, the ignition had been converted with an old auto style coil and resister, which I reversed back in 2001 when I bought a new wire harness, CDI and coil. It idles well, has good power and runs well at WOT.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Great background info...TY.

What plugs are you using?

Verify that the HS jets are correct.....people often mess with resizing.

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks. Is there a size scribed into the hs jets? Im running j4cs

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
L76V plugs maybe? Did you try the timing light trick yet? (no flash, no spark)

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
I havent yet as just got the new coil wire boot, and its not on a boat currently. Ive got the 1968 saftmate at a resto shop with plan to have it restored this winter. I may put this motor on my other old boat so that I can run it in the lake in the next few weeks.

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
AHH, just found that 2 spark plug wires are loose at the threaded fitting (one pulled out unconnected to the fitting). Are these wires salvageable or best to just replace (assuming I can)?? They are probably original wires, as I dont recall replacing during my 20 some years of ownership.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I had that motor for 30+ years from new.
The centre-fire plugs were always iffy....for every day use. They were reportedly great for extended WOT operation.
I had way better luck with gapped plugs....suggested ones are QL77JC4.

I replaced plug wires once. I carefully removed old threaded connectors and reused them with bulk metal-core wires that I bought.