Johnson 25 HP Won't Shift Out of Gear After

Wide_N

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I changed the water pump on a 1999 Johnson 25 HP Model J25TEL3EEM and now it won't shift out of gear. The drive shaft pulls completely out. Any ideas on what I may have done wrong? Maybe had it in gear and it was supposed to be in neautral? Thanks in advance.

Lewis1111

Seaman
Yes, I would think when you reinstalled the gearcase and hooked the shift up they were not at the same point. Just drop the gearcase again make sure it is in the same gear as indicated by the shifter and reinstall.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Is that lower like the 2 cylinder models with the linkage in the water intakes? I believe it is the same so make sure the nuts are tight and the plastic keepers are on. Drive shaft does pull out on those no big deal just put it back in.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
I changed the water pump on a 1999 Johnson 25 HP Model J25TEL3EEM and now it won't shift out of gear. The drive shaft pulls completely out. Any ideas on what I may have done wrong? Maybe had it in gear and it was supposed to be in neautral? Thanks in advance.

Do did not remove the cross headed screw near the oil drain plug, did you ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Did the upper shift shaft turn during your work , yes , no or not sure ?------Was the lower shift shaft turned all the way into the lower unit , yes or no ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It does not matter how you disconnect it.-------Forward works.----neutral work.----Reverse works.-----Turning either shift rod does change the adjustment.

Wide_N

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK. Sorry I forgot to get back with what I found out. The lower shift rod had come unscrewed while I was unscrewing the union I assume. Simply screwing it back in and hooking it back up fixed my issue. Thanks