200 Evinrude losing spark at 3400

JerEazy

Petty Officer 1st Class
E200TXETD

The resurrection of this old engine has been going very well all things considered. New fuel pump, power pack, plugs and some wiring fixes and she fired right up and isles great.

went for first water test today - brought my whole set of stuff with me. Again, started great, idled great, good water flow - little bit of extra smoke though. But considering no complaints. Running pre-mix. 95-100 psi on all 6 (I’m fairly sure these loopers are lower compression - but they were all almost dead even)

Well - slow speed went well, and when I gave it throttle she started going but at 3400 RPMs she started sputtering. I was thinking maybe the timing considering a new power pack install to I grabbed the timing light and have the wife throttle up. When it got to the stutter point the timing light started skipping - almost like it was hitting a rev limiter? I doubt that’s the case. But it’s the only way I can think to describe it. The light did flash on the 18 degree where it should though.

I’m suspecting spark/coils at this point. Pull the wires and they were pretty nasty and corroded, so I bit the bullet and ordered all new coils and wires.

that being said, anything else I should trouble shoot while I await coil arrivals? more just looking for ideas for just in case.

Thanks.

-Eazy

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Sound like its going into SLOW...Whats the water temp and last impeller change?

JerEazy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don’t have a temp gauge - but impeller and thermostats are all brand new.

JerEazy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just checked and looks like the SLOW would restrict to 2500 RPMs. I rev nice and free to the 3400.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sheared flywheel key ?----That would change the timing.-------You are sure it is running on all 6 cylinders ?----Shift interrupt switch checked ?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Mark TDC of all cylinders. Check timing of each plug.

If the stutter shows up on all cylinders you don’t have a coil issue.

JerEazy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sheared flywheel key ?----That would change the timing.-------You are sure it is running on all 6 cylinders ?----Shift interrupt switch checked ?

timing light flashes on each cyl at idle on the hose. I know that doesn't necessarily mean its firing. But it was the best test i could run. (broke my spark tester). I did see the test procedure for the Shift Interrupt and i will confirm. I can say that when shifting there is a quick hiccup as it should and then returns to normal. It's not the thorough test, but having experienced a sticking/failing shift interrupt before, i didn't consider it. I will confirm and test it at next check.

it's why i kinda leaned towards weak coils and old wires - can handle the load at idle but when the engine starts going they dump out.

Re The Key: I haven't removed the flywheel - but i will check next time i'm into it.

Mark TDC of all cylinders. Check timing of each plug.

If the stutter shows up on all cylinders you don’t have a coil issue.

I'm not really sure what you mean here - could you elaborate? I know how to check TDC etc - but when you say timing of each plug i don't get what you're asking.

Last edited:

JerEazy

Petty Officer 1st Class
i was just thinking back to the run again - i remember the tach showing RPMs and bottoming out to 0 and then coming back. Culprit to that is bad wiring or failing/failed rectifier/regulator right?

I'll check that as well.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'm not really sure what you mean here - could you elaborate? I know how to check TDC etc - but when you say timing of each plug i don't get what you're asking.

Find and mark TDC of each cylinder on your flywheel.

Once done, you can check the "timing" of each cylinder independent from the rest. Good tool to isolate the behavior to a cylinder(s), component or system.

JerEazy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Find and mark TDC of each cylinder on your flywheel.

Once done, you can check the "timing" of each cylinder independent from the rest. Good tool to isolate the behavior to a cylinder(s), component or system.

ahh i see what you mean - thank you

JerEazy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Going to start a new thread - I may not be losing spark - it might be a fuel delivery issue.

6 new coils and wires and same problem. But I will say she started and idled much better - and I didn’t realize how bad the existing coils were until I took them off and saw the corrosion on the backside.

JerEazy

Petty Officer 1st Class
PS - I went to check the shift interrupt switch and it is snipped at the switch. Could it maybe be causing the issue being cut like that?