1990 Evinrude 20 HP convert to 25 HP (Model # E20CRESB)

I found the post where a guy bored out the intake manifold. The carbs on his motor and the 25hp had different part numbers but all the individual parts for the two carbs had the same part numbers just like mine. I decided to bore out the hole in the manifold to match the carb. I took it up to the lake today for about an hour. This motor has sputtered when I run it at a certain speed since I got it about 5 years ago. It is like it misfires about every 15 seconds. Now it doesn't. I could not get it to do it once. Also this motor has never idled in neutral let alone in forward gear. Now it does. I didn't not check the speed of the motor before I did this so I have no idea if it is any faster.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Looks like someone has been messing with the linkage and had no idea what they were adjusting. In the second pic, there are signs the collar has been moved. Loosen that set screw so the rod is free to move, and ignore it for now.
The roller should just start to make contact with the cam, when it is between the 2 marks. There should be and adjust ment for that.

To Adjust the Collar on the thin rod link that goes from the carb to the Vertical Link on the port side of the engine.
This from an older engine, but the linkage operates and is adjusted the same way.
Click image for larger version  Name:	fuelsaver.jpg Views:	1 Size:	191.6 KB ID:	10805045

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Might help to know (if you don't) that the roller will hang out in space when you idle it way down -- no contact with cam. This is normal. Depending on how the engine is dialed in, it can continue to run at a slow idle with the twist grip or remote lever fully shut down.

Looks like someone has been messing with the linkage and had no idea what they were adjusting. In the second pic, there are signs the collar has been moved. Loosen that set screw so the rod is free to move, and ignore it for now.
The roller should just start to make contact with the cam, when it is between the 2 marks. There should be and adjust ment for that.

To Adjust the Collar on the thin rod link that goes from the carb to the Vertical Link on the port side of the engine.
This from an older engine, but the linkage operates and is adjusted the same way.

Ok the linkage was hooked to the cam follower that I bought from Ebay. I couldnt find a new one. I just used it and it was not set the same as mine. I moved it to match mine that was hooked to my broken cam follower. I haven't messed with it but who to say if the previous own did or not. I think the roller is pretty close but I am not sure how to adjust it if it isn't. Here is a pic of instructions for throttle control rod adjustment. I don't understand it either. It is different than what you posted. I have a clymer manual for evinrude 1973 - 1990 2-40 hp.

Attachments

• photo321460.jpg
    photo321460.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Cylmer, not even good for the Outhouse, for reading or .......

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The one from OMC. There should be a few of them on E-bay, and from Ken Cook

My manual arrived today. The description on ebay said service manual but I got an owner's manual. Looks like Ken Cook nor eBay have a service manual for this motor.