three (3) prong fuel line&tank for Evinrude 9.9hp #10924B

jacknorman

Recruit
Inherited a boat with an old Evinrude #10924B 9.9hp engine that has an ancient 3 (three) prong input for the fuel line to hook into. Have not been able to find anywhere to supply me with the 3-prong line [and will I also need a special 3-prong tank as well?). Any suggestions? Surely there must be some way to get it running again?? Thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
NOPE-----That uses a single hose fuel tank.-----Common item in stock at every boat supply place.----Do not confuse this with pressure tank motor of 1959 and older !

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
I think (but not sure) the third prong is there so people could use their old two hose tank on their new (at the time) motors that only needed a single line (vents the pressure tank so the fuel pump can draw from it???). Your motor will work with either arrangement but you may as well use the single line connector.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
One prong is for fuel.
Second prong holds the connector on.
Third prong is simply there to prevent you from putting connector on upside down.

No mystery.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I think (but not sure) the third prong is there so people could use their old two hose tank on their new (at the time) motors that only needed a single line (vents the pressure tank so the fuel pump can draw from it???). Your motor will work with either arrangement but you may as well use the single line connector.

No, the three prong fittings used on a pressure system are not compatible with two prong fittings. The fitting the poster is looking at has a third prong that prevents putting the connector on backwards.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Only one of those prongs is actually "live"....fuel flows through it.
The other two are just solid connection guides and retainers with no passage through them.

Funny, right now I have one in my hand from a '75 6 HP. Have been running OMCs for 50+ years and never noticed the third prong on the engine fitting. Made that connection 100s of times and when it did not fit, just reversed it and bingo.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
I stand corrected. Never bothered (until this morning) to actually try connecting a twin hose tank to a single hose style motor connector; it isn't even close.

jacknorman

Recruit
Thank you all for your answers. But being ignorant about motors, I’m confused. Is the upshot that I can buy a generic fuel line and it will fit, so long as I have the correct side up? Sorry to be dense, but could someone dumb it down for me?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
There are look-alike connectors that wont fit. They do fit other brands, such as Yamaha. So, as long as t is for OMC/Johnson/Evinrude you are good. Adding to the confusion, there are 5/16" and 3/8" hoses. Either one is good for your little 9.9.but the 5/16" isn't big enough for a big V-6 engine.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I have had some adventures with after-market brands that swore they would fit OMCcouplings, but did not.
I only buy OEM now.