1975 Evinrude 6 HP gearcase oil seal

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Repair and reseal of the gearcase...
The part that my service manual calls the gearcase head, OMC part #0382291 has an oil seal that I cannot get out to replace it.

Had the same problem with the drive shaft seal in the impeller housing. Went at it from the back side with a drift punch....nothing. Seal is badly mangled....so before I damaged the housing (new one is $100-) I took it to a machine shop to have the seal reamed out precisely. Will be back on Thursday.
"A man has got to know his limitations". ~ Harry Callahan, 1975. :)

So back to the current problem....the gearcase head seal
Listening to Dirty Harry's advice, after a VERY brief attempt myself to remove the seal, I took it to an auto mechanic, a good one. They just called and said that they are not comfortable that they won't damage the housing when removing the seal, and have passed.

So, back over to me. This housing is NLA....

1) This motor is 100% freshwater use...
2) I have changed this seal previously without any problem that I recall....within 8 years.
3) Any tips on removing this?

At the end of the day, I would probably search for a good used part and if I know they are available as Plan B, would step up my aggression level.

Any other suggestions welcome.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A dremel and you weaken the seal so that it falls out.----Work carefully.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Hmmmm....and I have a Dremel.
If that works I will be really irritated with myself....but very grateful for your suggestion. :)