Fuel/carb question.....

Hopefully not a dumb question but I cant find the info online or in my manual. I have a 92 eveinrude 90 hp crossflow. I attached pics but I have noticed some fuel pooling up in my lower cowl. I took off the front silencer on the carbs and inside the carbs I have 2 tubes pointed outward, what are they and am I supposed to have fuel drip out of them? I can prime the bulb and it gets hard and I can't see any fuel leaking but when I trim up the motor for storage I see a very small amount (about a drop per tube) come out. The bottom carb has both tubes that have fuel at the tips and the top carb only has the left tube wet with fuel and the right one is dry. Any input would be grateful.

Attachments

• photo319028.jpg
    photo319028.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo319029.jpg
    photo319029.jpg
  • photo319030.jpg
    photo319030.jpg

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Most carbs dump some fuel out the bowl vents when tilted up, just the nature of the beasts

Ok so no need to panic. Just thought it was odd 3 of the 4 were wet and I wasn't sure what they were for since I haven't had the carbs off. Thank you for the quick reply! I guess I will just regularly clean up the fuel out of the lower cowl when it builds up. Thank you again!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is supposed to be a wee hose from the silencer cover to the block that takes care of this leakage.----Maybe it is missing / not hooked up.

Ok, so I found the small hose and it is indeed hooked up, maybe clogged?? not sure yet. I am gonna clean off the motor and try and track down where the fuel is seeping from while it is clean and running on muffs.

Could be as simple as the cork gasket for the silencer, but I do see fuel residue behind the silencer and on the carbs and front of the motor, not sure if it is being sloshed back that way as it doesn't look like it is coming from that area. I just dont want to catch fire! I do have some suspect fuel lines as some look older and some have metal worm clamps, some have the plastic clamps and a few the are ziptied as well as a few that are just pushed on. Might as well redo all of them,fuel filter, and the quick disconnect orings for starters.

I just replaced the bendix on the starter as it was worn and started to grind on the flywheel. Man it is always something with a boat. Lmao I am learning quick tho. Just wish the fish would cooperate when out! So far this boat has been pretty good, no real hang ups esp since it is my 1st boat and first season operating a boat (well mentored though).

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Hoses should fit well enough that they don't leak, even without clamps. The clamps are a second line of security and mostly keep the hose from blowing or pulling off.

Opinions vary, but many do not approve of those worm gear "aircraft" clamps. Personally, I'd hate to fly in a plane that I know has them. JMHO

I completely agree with the worm clamps as well. I hate them on cars to. They cause more leaks than they prevent.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Tommy, you are right when you said always something with a boat.
B.O.A.T. = Break Out Another Thousand (as my wife puts it). LOL

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A boat is a Hole in the Water that you will pour money into continually