73 65hp Evinrude Electric Choke Setup

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
MN#65373R. I’m not sure where the Black and White were coming from the throttle controls connect to the choke solenoid. Do I run them back to the purple/white or purple yellow wire? Do the connect to the battery? Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
So you are trying to connect a non-compatible control to your motor, right? You should be using a control with a yellow plug. So I cannot answer your question except to say that there are two wires coming from the choke solenoid, Connect the choke switch so it feeds both of the choke solenoid wires at the same time. That is the gist of the factory service bulletin which concerns eliminating the choke warn-up switch.

Good luck with the rest of your venture.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No---- the 73 model 65 HP uses a red plug on the motor and the control box !!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, my mistake. '72 uses the yellow plug. Nevertheless the control wires colors should match the motor wire colors, right? OP is trying to connect black and white wires to choke. Normally, black is ground and white is start solenoid.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Without pictures there is no telling what folks are trying to do.-----Wiring and 12 volts are a black art in many cases.

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It is the original Evinrude power pilot control. When I push the key in I get nothing from the electric choke. I’m trying to determine if it is a switch. I was told when I got the boat the black and white wire that were capped were the electric choke power. I’m aware of the announcement about the wiring. I’m just wondering if the wires are indeed to the electric choke. I’m pretty sure the switch in the control box is shot. Was going to test with ohmmeter.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
All I can tell you is the black and white wires are not for the choke. Beyond that, I don't know what you have. Yep, break out that multimeter.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Don't have the manual available, but I think the choke uses a purple/white wire for the power side.

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here are a few pics of the item in question. Not sure if this is in fact a choke switch or what. After digging I found the white wire I spoke of is actually a gray wire that was tied in to with white. The black obviously is a ground. I’m just not sure what it is and if it has anything to do with the electric choke. Thanks

Attachments

• photo319128.jpg
    photo319128.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo319129.jpg
    photo319129.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The round thing in your picture is the overheat horn. But the white/grey wires aren't connected to it are they? Anyhoo, by original color code, white is start, grey is tachometer.

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok great. Now that We’ve got that figured out. Back to the issue. Why am I not hearing the click or seeing engagement on the choke when I push the key in? Do I need to switch the wires we spoke of earlier and try again? Is there a power source I am missing? Do I check voltage at the back of the choke solenoid?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When you turn the key to "on " does choke solenoid pull in halfway, yes or no ?-----Or use a jumper wire and put 12 volts directly to solenoid terminal, what happens then ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Getting down to the nitty gritty, when you turn the key on when motor is cold, there should be 12V applied to the purple/yellow wire on the choke solenoid, via the thermal witch. That should pull the plunger half way in. Push the key in and 12V should also be applied to the purple/white wire on the choke solenoid, in addition to the 12V on purple/yellow. That should slam the choke closed.

The above is for the original set-up, not modified.

After modification, there will be 12V applied to both purple/white AND purple/yellow wires on the choke solenoid, but only if key is turned on and pushed in. If yours is not modified, I suggest you do so.

That's what is required, pure and simple. Beyond that, we don't know what kind of wiring mess you have. If you can't figure it out, perhaps you need to consult somebody familiar with 12V circuitry.

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok. Sorry for the delayed post. It’s been a minute since I was able to get to it. I have the electric choke working now. Switching the wires seem to work. I can get it running but it idles high and runs rough and the throttle doesn’t seem to be working properly. I’m about to do a compression test. I will update the numbers. After doing some research, I’m thinking it might be a gasket.

Bluewater84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I just did a compression test and it’s saying 30-30-0? Did I do that right? No compression but still runs and idles somewhat? Is this a leaky gasket?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Can you post a brief summary of motor history?
How long you have had it....has it ever run OK for you ....etc.

Those compression numbers, if accurate, are not going to work at all.
Gasket? Maybe....or worse.

Try the test again with a different gauge to confirm readings. Many a motor has been torn down because of compression readings when it should have been the gauge that was torn down and rebuilt. :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You should be reading 130 PSI + on that motor.----I think you need to pull the cylinder head off for inspection.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Might try another compression tester, if you get the same readings, time to pull the head and take a look inside.