Unseizing an Evinrude Oceanpro without flywheel nut

swapdip

Cadet
Hi all quick question. I have an Evinrude Oceanpro 175 with the OIS ignition system. It has seized up from sitting, I have all the cylinders and intake and flywheel soaking in penetrating oil and I'm ready to bust it loose, but without the great big flywheel nut what do y'all grab your breaker bar onto?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sitting for a lot of years or sitting after being fully submerged ??-----Put it in gear and try to turn the prop.

swapdip

Cadet
Sitting for a lot of years or sitting after being fully submerged ??-----Put it in gear and try to turn the prop.
Oh no not submerged, just a little rusted from sitting. Ive busted tons of outboards free after a good soak, just never come across one that didn't have a good nut on top to put the bar on. Any concerns with putting a breaker bar on the propeller nut and wrenching it loose?

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Be aware that "busting" them loose with a breaker bar is risky. Broken rings, broken ring lands on the piston(s) and scored cylinders are easily done using the strong arm method. Soak for a week and "gently" try rocking the flywheel using whatever tool you have at your disposal. If the flywheel doesn't move, soak again and walk away for a week. Continue this until you get even the slightest movement. Then soak again continuing the rocking motion. Eventually each rocking motion will result in more rotation until full rotation is achieved. Then oil the engine up and rotate by hand a few times followed by the starter. Then do whatever else is required to actually fire the engine.

swapdip

Cadet
Be aware that "busting" them loose with a breaker bar is risky. Broken rings, broken ring lands on the piston(s) and scored cylinders are easily done using the strong arm method. Soak for a week and "gently" try rocking the flywheel using whatever tool you have at your disposal. If the flywheel doesn't move, soak again and walk away for a week. Continue this until you get even the slightest movement. Then soak again continuing the rocking motion. Eventually each rocking motion will result in more rotation until full rotation is achieved. Then oil the engine up and rotate by hand a few times followed by the starter. Then do whatever else is required to actually fire the engine.

I hear you and yeah that's what I normally do, this motor has been sitting for a week with daily penetrating oil treatments. The problem for me, and the reason I made this post, is that this particular motor doesnt have a big nut on the flywheel for me to do any kind of rocking. I feel like I can't really get a grip on anything and even a flywheel strap wouldnt work well because the teeth are so close to the top of the motor. I was just wondering if anyone has done this on the newer OMC motors and found a way to get a strong hold on this flywheel.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, remove two of the bolts on the flywheel and install longer bolts. Stick breaker bar between bolts and rock.....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If there are any other holes in the flywheel, use a length of scrap steel with two holes drilled in it spaced for the two holes in the flywheel. Insert two bolts in the newly fashioned breaker bar. Be creative with this stuff.