1996 Johnson j155eledr stator, rectifier, and tach issue

Lowedeck

Recruit
I have a 1996 Johnson 115 model: j115eledr on a Lowe 22ft deck boat. I bought the boat a year ago and when I bought it the rpm gauge was always on the fritz. So after some research I needed up replacing the water cooled rectifier and regulator from cdi electronics a few months ago just as a precaution bc of it being a high amp stator and the possibility of catching fire. The tach never worked after this. I have fished with it a few times and the tach will not budge. I finally had time to start messing with it this weekend and these are my issues:

when the boat is turned to the on position but not started the original tach drops to just above zero beeps and lights up the 4 safety lights on the gauge and they go away like they should. When I start the boat the rpm gauge goes to about 300 rpm till the boat starts and drops back down. I bought a new Faria system check tach to have a good test tach and the new tach will go down below zero but will not read any rpms when the boat is running.

after going through this site I have checked the following:

yellow with grey trace and yellow solid from the stator one start I had 22-24vac being provided to the rectifier I turned the motor off and reconnected to the rectifier and turned on the boat. the battery voltage started going up from 12.8 to 14.2 vdc. No gauge rpms still.

I tested the grey wire that goes to the gauge from the motor all the way to where it plugs into the rectifier and I have continuity with a multi meter so the wire is good and not broken.

I then tried going from the yellow with grey trace directly to the grey wire unplugged from the rectifier to the old tach and no rpms would be displayed. I then installed the new tach hoping it was just a bad tach and their is still no response.

i then tried to verify again that I still had the correct vac coming from the stator and this time I only had 13.8 vac max coming from the stator and it was only charging the battery to 12.8 vdc and still no rpms showing on the gauge.

i do not have a DVA gauge to accurately test the grey wire going to the tach but I do have min max on my higher dollar fluke meter and could hear it beep every so often but it was not showing any voltage due to it not having the capacitors and diodes built in.

i am hoping to get a little guidance from some of the people who have responded on the many other post I have looked at! Thanks in advance for any help

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
sounds like the new tach might need to be adjusted. Check the Faria site online -- believe they list settings.

Lowedeck

Recruit
I have set the new tach to the 6 pulse setting and it doesn’t do anything. From reading their is no other adjustment that I can do.