1998 4HP / help appreciated before I break it in process of reconditioning

Good Trout To You Sir

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Several troubles with model E4BRECJ (new-to-me) on what should be quick & easy exercises:
FRONT LOWER COWL REMOVAL: Neither the OMC factory service manual nor Seloc manual addresses removal of combination choke/fuel shutoff knob. The knob must come off before cowing may be removed. Reluctant to apply force to this over-engineered plastic assembly. Have seen reference to those who used screwdriver to apply slight upward pressure to tab of fuel shutoff lock. Anyone know what piece that describes and if it makes a difference if knob is turned to fuel on vs. fuel off position prior to knob removal?
LOWER UNIT REMOVAL: On this F/N model is there a shift linkage to be disengaged before lower unit may be separated? LU is not dropping and I'm trying to determine if a linkage must be addressed. Have only a very small crack to view interior of LU and I see what appears to be a rod -- or perhaps a post -- aft of the water pump assembly.So it's not the water tube or drive shaft -- what is it?
FORM OF SHIFT LINKAGE: F/N shifting occurred normally when I first assessed motor. Wanted to have in Neutral position prior to removal of lower unit, but lever does not appear to be actuating gear shift now. What has happened and how to fix?
THROTTLE CABLE: Requires replacement, but for a 20" 4HP cable, $100-125 strikes me as uneconomic. I'm willing to make my own. Would need to reuse the pin&post of cable end currently seated in timing plate. How to remove without damaging them?
Any ideas are greatly appreciated -- was hoping this 4HP would be a great motor for me, but I'm a bit deflated by design aspects & part costs that make this an expensive motor to repair. Thank you!