Installing Nova II electronic ignition module in 1958 Evinrude 3 HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Been There

Cadet
I've given up on trying to start /run this old outboard. I bought new coils and installed. cleaned up the points with new condensers. I thinking one of all condensers may be bad, as I have read on here the condensers from China are not good.
So, I ordered two Nova II ignition modules and there is no diagram or instructions on how they to be installed., I'm sure you all know there are two spade connectors on the module and the coils have two wires...Primary and Secondary...Black and green. The green coil wire went to the points and black to ground. Would it be the green coil wire now goes to one spade connector on the module and the supplied black wire goes to ground over or under the black coil wire to complete the setup. I don't need to destroy the modules by making the wrong wire connections
Appreciate any help here.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Why are you giving up on fixing the Magneto system? It works well and is easy to troubleshoot, and to maintain.

kbait

Commander
Agree w/jimmbo, get the original universal magneto setup working, and have a dozen years of happy boating.

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
The original breaker point setup is far superior to the Nova modules. They work ok on lawnmower type engines but have failed in every outboard I have seen people try them in. As far as condensers, I've been using red drop .22 uF capacitors. They are under $1 a piece of you but them in bulk, and last forever.

Been There

Cadet
Thanks to all that made comments here. However, I'm living in the modern world now, and I once believed in originally. That is until I found there was such a thing as "Electronic Ignition System that could replace those old points and condensers on automobiles, farm tractors, lawn tractors, and now outboard motors.

I own a l939 Ford 9N tractor that came with point and condenser and was a problem getting that front distributor set so it would start in any type of weather, and those 6 volt batteries was a premium to buy. That old '39 Ford 9N was converted to 12 volt electronic ignition back in 1989 and never have I had to touch that front mount distributor since. So, it is time for this 1958 Evinrude Lightwin 3 HP outboard to get the same. I'm positive that these NOVA II modules will work, and if not I will try another brand of modules. I have one (1) Red Atom module setup and keep checking ebay to buy another...If and when that may happen.

I'm sure that all the automobile manufacturers decided to switch from those points and condenser system to was a good thing, and all of you have enjoyed that system since.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
With your ‘look how smart I am’ Attitude, I wish you well.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Plenty of videos on YouTube. Search for "Nova II outboard"

Been There

Cadet
I'll bring this thread back to life.
Installed the NOVA II modules yesterday and this morning with a fresh full tank of fuel mixture ready to see if it starts and runs. BAM! BAM!. Fired right up and ran like a top. Have very high speed, and somewhat normal low idle. The high speed valve needs some refinement to it. With new spark (7MM) plug wires,carburetor kit, coils, new water pump (impeller) it ran for hour on the boat with the lower unit in a tank.
Now, I waiting for jimmbo to come in an make his pleasing critical remark(s) just to clean up the shop here.

BSXA6iO.jpg

Last edited:

kbait

Commander
I’ve heard those modules work fine except for very low idle..and also heard that low idle is fine. After you get it dialed in, let us know if it will sustain VERY low idle like they do with proper original points setup.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I'll bring this thread back to life.

You must be a MODERATOR"S dream....someone who thinks posting again after 1 day is "bringing a thread back to life"
We see guys hauling up 10-year old stuff without even blinking.:eek::facepalm:

Good luck.
I retrofitted a 6 HP and it did not run as well....and the modules crapped out before Labour Day. Back to mag ignition.
I also did a B&S one-lunger ion a cement mixer. That still is OK but runs at a constant speed and not as often.

Post back in a year and let us know how it is going.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am observing the smart alek style of posting popping up on the forums I regularly visit as well as the ones I own. But I am really surprised to see it on here, this is one particular forum I never expected to see it on as it has been a nice family and friend driven place for a long time now.

:facepalm:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Why get mad at the op for his attitude? I feel sorry for him he is causing himself a bunch of work because the atom modules are garbage. He took out a tried and proven system and replaced it with one that has a high failure rate. Oh by the way your tractor conversion is nothing special done all the time on those.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
The issue I've heard related to the Nova modules is how they're installed. In a tractor distributor or on the side of a lawnmower engine they stay reasonably cool.

If they're installed under the fly wheel on an outboard they get really hot - electronics don't like heat.

Wilsonsk1966

Seaman Apprentice
checking in on this thread to see how the op faired with the modules. I tried them in an old Chrysler and it didn’t want to idle. I had them mounted outside, not under the flywheel. I also did a lot of net research and saw most of the attempts with them end with putting the points back in (which is what I did to get the Chrysler to idle again). I too would like to get to the electronic age with these but It doesn’t look like the nova II modules are a robust path to get there. Op, how did it go? Hoping maybe you found something different or a solution.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
checking in on this thread to see how the op faired with the modules. I tried them in an old Chrysler and it didn’t want to idle. I had them mounted outside, not under the flywheel. I also did a lot of net research and saw most of the attempts with them end with putting the points back in (which is what I did to get the Chrysler to idle again). I too would like to get to the electronic age with these but It doesn’t look like the nova II modules are a robust path to get there. Op, how did it go? Hoping maybe you found something different or a solution.

OP never came back. You may be waiting a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.