Which water fuel separator for 1990 9 0 hp johnson....10 or 25 micron?

Bassnwhaler

Cadet
Seems my motor didn't originally have a water fuel separator so I cant find the original part to replace. I have a filter on now that is a mercury/ universal 10 micron. The motor is new to me and I am doing some basic maintenance. Do I stick with a 10 micron or go with the Evinrude version that is 25 micron? Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Seems my motor didn't originally have a water fuel separator so I cant find the original part to replace. I have a filter on now that is a mercury/ universal 10 micron. The motor is new to me and I am doing some basic maintenance. Do I stick with a 10 micron or go with the Evinrude version that is 25 micron? Thanks

Merc and Evinrude filter mounts are not interchangeable. The Mercury filter have 11/16"-16 threads, Evinrude has 1"-12 threads.

All the major outboard manufacturer recommend the use of a 10 micron filter. Some (Yamaha) go even further and recommend the use of a 5 micron filter.

As for brand, I use nothing but Racor filters. Far better performance specification than the big box alternatives.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks! Currently this one is on my Johnson. Confusing.

Not really. Most aftermarket filter heads adapted the Mercury 11/16-16 thread size. The filter heads using the Johnson/Evinrude 1”-12 threads are OEM.

Racor OEM filter heads use a different thread size yet but make filters to fit Merc and J/E OEM filter heads