Johnson QD-17 throttle arm problem

10outboard

Recruit
I'm having a problem with the throttle with the throttle being stuck. I cannot turn the handle. I removed the screw holding the plastic throttle and the mechanism worked fine but when I reinstalled the handle, it did not work. It seems the 2 slots in the housing are lining up with the 2 locations in the handle and that's locking the throttle handle, Although there is a spring in the mechanism, the handle does not come out that 1/4 inch to free the handle from it's locked location. I'm confused and any assistance would be grateful. There does not seem to be any give in the shaft to allow for the handle to free itself from the locked position.

10outboard

Recruit
I did not but will give that a try, there does not seem to be any front to back movement in the shaft, should there be?
If there is, that might provide the answer to my problem! Thanks, Mike

10outboard

Recruit
I went and checked the linkage from the throttle arm to the engine and it works fine, the issue is when I put on the spring and put the handle in a position where I can screw the handle to the shaft, it seems to go into a locked position and there is not enough room on the shaft to allow the handle to rotate, it's in a locked position! It operates as it should without the throttle handle attached. Thanks Mike

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The part with the two tabs up inside the grip I see likely stuck. Spray some WD40 up in the handle and let it soak. Might be able to grab on of the tabs with a pair of long needle nose pliers to pull it out. Clean it, grease it, and reassemble.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The piece with the two tabs in the twist grip is a friction block. It obviously is stuck. It does not move to and fro as you are thinking. Get it out of there and clean and grease it.