Backlash in drive shaft swap

BG0666

Cadet
I replaced a driveshaft out of 93 johnson 70 hp VJ70TLETS with a 81 70 hp evirude drive shaft E70ELCIH. The four spline shafts both same length both L rotation as I was changing drive shaft had to change carrier. Bearing housing and I noticed on my evirude there was a shim on the johnson there wasn't any should I put that shim in off the evirude or keep the johnson housing???

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??--Driveshaft or propshaft ??-------The 93 model has a fine spline on the end of the driveshaft.-----The 81 has a coarse spline.------It takes a special factory shimming tool ( I have that item ) to get this right.-----The pinion has to be put in the correct position or you risk damaging expensive gears..

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Has to be a prop shaft as driveshafts will not interchange on those 2 models.

BG0666

Cadet
It is drive shaft on the lower unit didn't change the gears from the 93 pinion gear forward and reverse gear are all the same I just change the drive shaft so now my drive shaft instead of being a 13 spline is now a 4 spline so now that lower unit will work on my 81 Evinrude. should I put that spacer in like on the evirude or should I leave it the way the Johnson had it

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Hurry and run to a shop that can shim the pinion to the driveshaft.you are using.----You have to do this.-----Fitting gears is not the same as installing a sparkplug !

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Has to be a prop shaft as driveshafts will not interchange on those 2 models.

It is drive shaft on the lower unit didn't change the gears from the 93 pinion gear forward and reverse gear are all the same I just change the drive shaft so now my drive shaft instead of being a 13 spline is now a 4 spline so now that lower unit will work on my 81 Evinrude. should I put that spacer in like on the evirude or should I leave it the way the Johnson had it

Oooooops. :eek::confused:

Been there, done that, ....against all advice, just like this poster.
My result....and my prediction, is that the pinion gear will wear badly and break up in the near future and take out some or all of the other gearcase components.

Still....a good teaching moment...this is not a DIY unless you have the equipment....or the luck of the Irish.

Make sure you have Sea Tow on speed dial. :)

BG0666

Cadet
Ok I give up lol u all win considering local salvage yard wants $900 for the lower unit only paid 125 for parts moter if it cost me another 75 still ahead of the game.sending it to marina tomorrow

BG0666

Cadet
Cost me70 dollars to have it checked by marina worth every penny and was off by one shim