Evinrude 60TLERV 1994 What is the cause of a rusty drive shaft

w2much

Lieutenant
I am replacing the impeller and checking the lower unit. LU was a bit more difficult to remove than usual. Bolts toward the back were about frozen . A freind was watching me and I told him ''this is why you dont just apply anti seize to the threads" Anyway the lower came off and the driveshaft was quite rusty. What is the cause of this ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Water finds it way into the splined joint.-----The crankshaft spline is carbon steel.---The driveshaft is stainless.-----Look into the o-ring seal in the bottom of the crankshaft or grease it every season.

w2much

Lieutenant
I realize there is to be some water intrusion and the driveshaft spline were dry ( of grease). I was just surprised at the amount of rust on the drive shaft itself from about midway up.. I thought I had read a post in the past about this condition and that there was a specific reason, or problem which caused the reaction. The lower unit is back on and I did grease the spline. I wish I had the forethought to look up the midsection to look at the O ring seal up there. Thank you for your reply.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I would bet it has that is why only 1/2 the drive shaft is rusted. The part underwater will not rust.

w2much

Lieutenant
OK .Thank you for the replies. Just checking that it was not an indication of something else.