98 Evinrude 175HP Bogs down after 30min

bjonesy21

Cadet
Recently got a 98 Evinrude Oceanpro 175hp. Here's my situation:
1. Cranks good and idles
2. Leave dock and runs great cruising and tubing.
3. Stop after 20-30 minutes to idle, swap kids on the tube, etc and on re-throttle the engine bogs and shuts off.
4. Recrank, try again, same result
5. Recrank, put in neutral, rev engine for 30sec and then I can put in gear and go
6. Has happened on more than one trip out
Looking for any ideas/suggestions
Thanks

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like overheating. Get yourself an infrared temperature gun like this one at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00837ZGRY/...e-a318e7567264 and test it as close as you can get the dot to the block all over the passages.

The pee hole water spray comes out before the cooling water enters the cylinder head, so it does not mean your engine is being cooled, it only means your water pump is working.

bjonesy21

Cadet
I'll check the temps but doesn't feel like overheating since the engine cranks right back up and will rev in neutral no problem. Just dies when I throw the gas to it in gear.

fireman57

Captain
If it is not overheating you could be dropping a cylinder if a coil is cracked or overheats. Take an inline spark tester with (10 bucks or so a auto store) when it does this make sure you have spark on all cylinders that jumps 7/16th of an inch. If you have spark I would look at a fuel restriction.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That happens on those 60* V6 motors. Not sure why. Some say it is heat soak. If you haven't replaced the thermostats, that might (might) be a fix.

bjonesy21

Cadet
Update: took it out today and ran great for about 30min straight at 4000rpms. All of a sudden engine ramped down and back up a few times then hung down around 1500. Found the primer bulb flat as a pancake. Popped the fuel cap open and loosened the hose clamp on engine side of bulb to get it to re-inflate. Cranked back up and ran 3000rpm to get back home. So frustrating.

fireman57

Captain
If your primer bulb is flat make sure your tank is vented. Leave your cap loose and see what happens.You also might need a new bulb if the one way valve in there is bad.Can't remember what you call the thing.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A flat primer bulb is a fuel supply problem. It can be the anti-siphon valve in the fuel tank is clogged, the vent is clogged or some clogged fuel filter (including the screen in fuel pickup tube) upstream of the primer bulb.

bjonesy21

Cadet
Ran test on separate tank and fuel supply lines. Ran great for 30-40 minutes then starts bogging down with fuel alarm sounding off. I can pump the bulb and the alarm shuts off and back on as I pump. Thinking fuel side of VRO pump is going bad and shows itself after 30 minutes. Thoughts??

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The VRO pumps are expensive.-----But in my opinion easy to inspect and repair.----Take it apart for a look see.----Checked the carburetor float bowls for warpage ?