1968 Evinrude 6hp Steering Tension Adjustment?

bikerider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anybody know how to adjust the steering tension on a 6hp Evinrude tiller outboard?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Look for a steering tension screw on the lower part of the bracket. You also may have an issue with dried grease -- locate a grease zerk/lube fitting and see if you can pump in some more grease.

bikerider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Look for a steering tension screw on the lower part of the bracket. You also may have an issue with dried grease -- locate a grease zerk/lube fitting and see if you can pump in some more grease.

I assume you mean the mounting clamp bracket where the motor attaches to the boat? I found the zerk fitting and made sure it had enough grease. The motor actually swings to either side way too easily and I'm hoping to tighten the steering tension so it doesn't move so freely.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Hunker down and peer right over the transom, between the clampscrews. That screw you see looking back at you is the steering tension adjustment.

bikerider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hunker down and peer right over the transom, between the clampscrews. That screw you see looking back at you is the steering tension adjustment.

Would this be it? And if so, for the nut it would be right to tighten left to loosen, correct?
Evinrude tension nut.jpeg

Attachments

• Evinrude tension nut.jpeg
    Evinrude tension nut.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
NO, hunker down lower.

Attachments

• photo317138.jpg
    photo317138.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 2