’83 Johnson—water pump mystery part???

Moults

Cadet
Hey guys. Need some help. I was taking a look at my water pump impeller to see its condition. When I lifted the housing up the shaft this little pin fell out and I wasn’t able to see where it came from. I don’t see any intuitive home for it and I’m at a standstill as far as putting things back together until I figure out where it belongs!

The service manual doesn’t show it and I can’t find it online.

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• photo317061.jpg
    photo317061.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • photo317062.jpg
    photo317062.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo317063.jpg
    photo317063.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
I'm pretty sure that's the pin that locks the impeller to the drive shaft. A dab of thick grease will hold it on the flat of the shaft while you slide the impeller down over it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Did the impeller lift out with the housing? If so, is there a groove/flat in/on driveshaft at the impeller's location?

Moults

Cadet
Bingo, yep it’s the key that locks the impeller. I didn’t expect it to be cylindrical like that but that’s how she is! Thanks guys.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just did one the other day.-----Had the round pin.-----Impeller in it was for the plastic key.-----Now it has the impeller for the round pin again.----Moults , you did install a new impeller I hope ?

Moults

Cadet
Not yet. I’m that guy that pulls it apart without the kit on hand. I have one on order. Would my taking it apart only this far and putting it back together mess it up? Would you advise against taking it out until I replace the impeller?

kbait

Commander
If it’s pumping/cooling, use it. Fairly quick replacement would be wise by the look of impeller.. Happy boating!