Cmc tilt and Motor Height

doomanmxz99

Seaman
Hey guys have a question for you. I recently installed a cmc pt130 on my 20 foot manitou pontoon. Engine is a 1985 Johnson 50hp. It's a long shaft. Put back same distance as before. Now my top speed is about 14mph where as before it was 19 or 20. I also have to put the motor all the way down or it feels like it's slipping. Also the cmc is wider at the bottom than my transom and it is pushing water up on the sides of the engine. Seems like I need to raise it up??? Please let me know your thoughts. I will get some pics also

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the tilt unit is causing the drag.----It is a brake I would say.

Rick.

Captain
I've been reading a fair bit about installing a pt130 just lately as I'm going yo put one on my boat soon. In my reading there has been mentioned a pontoon boat adaptor. I've paid no attention to it as it doesn't a apply to me but wondering if you used one? Best of luck, Rick.

doomanmxz99

Seaman
I did not use one. Didn't need it. All it does is space for transom bolts. You could make your own if needed

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
I cannot comment directly since I don't have a pontoon but I do have a CMC tilt on my 16' starcraft and it works great. I didn't lose any speed after I installed mine.

I would go back over the instructions or even give them a call with your issue, they should be able to able help.

doomanmxz99

Seaman
Cmc tilt engine height

Hey guys having some issues. I got a cmc pt 130 because I had the old prestolite tilt. Mounted it on my 1989 Manitou fishhawk 20. 50 hp Johnson. Took it out and plowed water because pt 130 was wider the my transom. Moved it up and now pretty good but motor now is looking for traction. Motor is mounted all the way down so not sure what to try. Thanks

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Is the prop the same depth as it was with the Prestolite? And even though you raised it up, is the CMC still hanging down low enough to cause cavitation around the prop? In other words, is the motor shaft long enough to get the prop below the CMC?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Where are those promised pictures? We need to see your setup from the side